• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest tomwp

Removing Lower Front Suspension Arms

Guest tomwp

Hi,

Complete beginners questions...

How do you remove the lower front suspension arm from the hub carrier? The ball joint pin seems completely stuck/rusted in. I have removed retaining nut and tried moving the steering rack then hammering it in various positions all with no joy. Any tips appreciated.

Second beginners question...

How do you remove the gear linkage rods, I thought they should just pull off the balls, is that right?

Thanks,

Tom.

welshpug

firstly, use a lever bar over the wishbone and push down, whatever you do do not try and prise the clamp open with a screwdriver or chisel.

secondly, use a spanner, around a 13mm, that'll usually work to pop at least one end off.

Baz

Little bit of light oil/lube can help, as they do get very stuck in there with a bit of corrosion at times!

A whack to the wishbone itself with a hammer sometimes helps too!

Daviewonder
secondly, use a spanner, around a 13mm, that'll usually work to pop at least one end off.

Like so :lol:

SAM_0691.jpg

Guest tomwp

Excellent, thank you. Will try early tomorrow evening when I won't upset the neighbours.

(I wish it looked that clean)

Edited by tomwp

Baz

13mm won't be quite big enough although will do the smaller rod, around 15mm will be better for the larger rods iirc! :lol:

SurGie

Iv used a track rod end puller tool, the fork end to remove the rods.

pug_ham
13mm won't be quite big enough although will do the smaller rod

It should be, thats the size I always used before I went to Miles' gear rods iirc.

Graham.

Guest tomwp

Excellent, a pair of spanners - one small (8mm) and one larger (13mm) did the trick on the smaller size gear linkage.

So my third beginners question...

I am removing the right-hand drive shaft. I have un-done the intermediate bearing retaining bolts so that they rotate freely but I cannot shift the drive shaft. I guess that either the splines are jammed in the final drive or the intermediate bearing is jammed in the holder. I am loath to whack anything with a hammer until I have sought advice!

Thanks,

Tom.

pug_ham

The intermediate bearing will be stuck in the housing, get a decent drift & with the L bolts out of the way hammer it free on the bearing lug by the mount.

Graham.

EdCherry
The intermediate bearing will be stuck in the housing, get a decent drift & with the L bolts out of the way hammer it free on the bearing lug by the mount.

Graham.

Dont see how you can remove the hockey sticks to do this.

I normally use my blow torch on the housing till its nice and hot, then get a ball joint seperator fork and a hammer and work my magic. Bobs your uncle you got one free driveshaft.

pug_ham

By out of the way I meant with them undone & turned through at least 90' so they aren't hooked over the bearing so once its moving they don't catch it & you kill them by continuing to hammer away.

Graham.

Guest tomwp

Thanks guys. Gratuitous use of the blow torch and hammer did the job.

Gearbox is finally off, clutch and cable replaced. Now on to the real problem.......

The reason I have been doing all this is because the clutch lever arm snapped clean off the gearbox. It happened once before and a local garage welded it back on. This time I wanted to replace the arm and get to the root of the problem - replacing the clutch. However I now can't get the remaining bit of the clutch arm off the pivot rod (not sure what the correct term is here). The locking bolt is utterly solid - I'm guessing it is partially welded in from the last repair.

Does anyone have or know where I could get a new rod and some of those horrible plastic bearings from. If I can get hold of some replacements I will just saw the old one out.

28916_426507191479_564576479_5926415_1744030_n.jpg

Thanks,

Tom

Daviewonder

Make sure the plastic bushes you get are the same colour as the ones you take out :)CLICK

Baz

Parts can be had from Peugeot. Or Miles @PugRacing on here. :)

welshpug

as said above, best bet is to replace the whole assembly, they come arm and shaft as one assembly plus the bushes.

with the arm off as it is there you should be able to turn the arm through 90 degrees so the forks are clear of the bearing guide tube and lift the shaft up, chop the top off, remove lower bush, drop shaft down then out from the bellhousing, and remove top bush.

Guest tomwp

Thank you for the advice on the colours of the bushings. That's why I come to sites like this :lol:

After cleaning through inches of grime I think they are yellow. A kind of faded yellow. Most of the bush is warn away so I guess that is why the clutch has been so awful.