• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wildejon

Gaz Adjustable Coilovers - Top Mounts Knocking?

wildejon

I have some knocking from the front of the car, especially over bumps. I can both hear it and feel it through the steering wheel. There is also some vibration and instability at high speed.

I have checked everthing I can think of and apart from the top mounts there is no play anywhere or everything is new (other than the D/S's).

The only thing I have found is that with the car in the air, I can lift the hubs and the top mount seems to move up/down slightly, is this meant to happen or is it loose?

I have recently fitted some solid mounts, maybe this was a bad idea on a road car :ph34r:

On the off chance anyone knows, what is the torque the sub-frame bolts need to be done up to? If anyone knows, we could add it here: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=89729

Thanks!

boombang

Obvious question, is the top nut done up tight?

wildejon

Good question! I did do it up with an air-gun, hoping to pop to the garage later to see if I can get any more movement on it.

Just not sure if it is meant to move or if it does need to be tighter, thanks :ph34r:

boombang

When I've ever done up a top mount nut, I put a marker on.

Can either do this by scoring the metal, or using marker paste (bright orange, clean metal, put it on and it will easily show if the nut has turned by cracking)

wildejon

Now THAT is a good idea. I'll try it when I get to the garage, thanks.

Incidentally, do you know how to adjust these?! I'm assuming I hold the nut still and rotate the knob to stiffen/soften but I'm not sure which way is which :lol:

Edited by wildejon

wildejon

Wicked thanks, I read that thread and totally missed the first bit about how to do it :lol:

EDIT: Feel free to delete this thread, pretty sure everything other than marking the top nut is in the thread boombang linked, thanks.

Edited by wildejon

wildejon

I've taken my shocks off for reconditioning and had a wobble of that top bearing with the shock totally removed from it. It does move up/down a little. Should that be the case or should it be solid?

What I did notice is that there is no bottom hat as it were. There is a top one that goes about half way through the bearing, then beneath the bearing and before the conical spring seat there is a collar to space the seat and the bearing out. This has the same dimms as the bearing face so it just sits on it and not inside like the to phat does. This means the bottom part of the bearing is empty, that OK?

Edited by wildejon

lemmingzappa

Also check you have the washers directly underneath the top mount nyloc. One of mine was missing the washer and was causing it to knock as there was play in the cup.

wildejon

Nope, I don't... I can add one when I stick them back on though.

Any thoughts on the bearing moving when its off the car?

lemmingzappa

Not sure about the bearing i'm afraid. Here are the specs of the washer you need:

29mm diameter, 14mm hole, 2mm thick

Although i'm using a slightly thicker one to compensate for not having that grounding plate on top of it.

wildejon

Are you using coilovers also?

Not sure I understand the need for a washer really, just means less of the nut will be on the thread on my setup, which can't be good!

Anyway, thats deffo a smaller issue than the knocking sound :wacko:

Can't be related to tightening the nut up, as the assembly just contacts either side of the ball. I might see if I can find out where I got the bearing from and ask them if its meant to move. I'm guessing it is as both sides are pretty new and both do it!