• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Will Eastman

Lowering A Xs

Will Eastman

Hey i know theres lots of threads on lowering but there arnt any i can find for xs, iv read lots of different things about just using gti spring, but dont know what effect this would have.

-What i would like to achieve is lowering the front about 40mm-50mm.

-Lowering the back about the same (maybe less)

With regards to lowering the front i dont know what tools i'l need (i guess spring compressor), and what i need to buy, eg. lowering springs (which ones?, i would like to do this very cheap bear in mind), and do i need to buy new shocks?

With regards to the back, i roughly know about the whole torrsion bar thing, but dont know weather i need a dummy shock???? or what this means, could i just do it without it. The other probleme i find with lowering it this way is that, as i bieleve it, it moves the wheel furthers back in the arch when you lower it. (please correct me if im wrong)

thanks in advance

dumbiron

Image0157-Copy.jpg

No special tools except spring compressors, rear set by eye and trial and error.

Total cost £12, -40mm springs off ebay.

Edited by dumbiron

sam-barker

Im going to be lowering my xs in the coming weeks. Thinking 40mm for the front.

Ive had 306's for a long time so i know about the whole torsion bar/whack the trailing arms off game. The car ive got is an F reg. Does this mean the rear axle will be pretty much knackered by now??

Will Eastman

So can i just put 50mm gti lowering springs on and it will lower the car 50mm??? Or do i need special xs ones???

dumbiron

The ones i fitted were listed as -40mm gti springs.

Don't know for sure but don't gtis sit lower to start with? So -50 mm gti springs will sit lower than -50mm non-gti springs?

Will Eastman

Right so gti springs will lower mine more than they would a gti?? Anyone else think this is the case?

GeorgeXS

The reason that there are different springs for Gti and non-Gti is because the Gti engine is heavier.

Therefore some 50mm lowering springs for a Gti would lower an XS less than 50mm and vice versa

Will Eastman

Ahhhh so confusing. So which way is it? Guess il just buy xs ones.

Henry Yorke

While you are fannying around with the rear axle, it is well worth trying to find a GTI antiroll bar to put in there as well. The torsion bars are also thicker and I am sure someone local will have some knocking about for not a lot as there are more dead beams than there are good ones now!

If you back wheels look like /-----\ then don't touch it and find a new beam first!