• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eddie bullit

Mushy!

eddie bullit

I planned on taking the pug out over the weekend but on pulling up at the junction the brake pedal felt a little soft and unresponsive. I pumped the pedal a couple of times and held it but it just kept dropping. I cant see any leaks whilst looking around and its just passed its MOT.

Any ideas chaps? I was thinking maybe brake fluid needs changing as I've never replaced it. Or maybe the master cylinder seals are knackered.

All ideas gratefully recieved :unsure:

Edd

swordfish210

Have a look around the hydraulic system with a torch when it's dark out as it's easier to see fluid leaks that way, the fluid shines in the torchlight. Has it got druns? If so you may want to take them off and check the slave cylinders for leaks. If you don't find any leaks then give the system a bleed and check the friction material while you're at it for wear.

eddie bullit

Cheers swordfish. forgot to mention that its a 1.9..discs all round..

richsmells

If it's not a corroded pipe, it's likey to be the master cylinder. Mine gave up randomly. Fine one minute, then pedal to the floor. Cheap and easy to replace if you can get the unions out okay.

eddie bullit

thanks for that rich!

JonnyB

Mine did this on the way home from a solo auto test. Changed the fluid and it was fine. The fluid got a bit hot. Check how dark the brake fluid is.

Tom Fenton

Failing master cylinders on 205's is not uncommon, and can happen suddenly. I've seen at least 3 GTI's written off when the master failed and they ploughed into whatever was in their path.

If in doubt get it changed ASAP.