• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Obey_R

Fog/reverse Light Wiring

Obey_R

Well the plonka before me decided to put lexus lights on the car, and since I've had it none of the bumber lights work (reverse, fog and both numberplate lights) - all the bulbs are fine but there is no voltage doing to the spade connectors at the back.

Anyway, after ripping out the boot lining today (full of old carpet lining?!) there are two wires, a black one and an earth which go through the boot floor and into the right hand light (reverse or fog?), then from there the black line continues to the left hand light.

Is this normal or is it a bodge after the lexus lights ruined the wiring?

I will be getting some normal lights soon hopefully (thanks MrG), so should this sort it out and just snip out the 'extra' wires?

Thanks,

Ross.

stutto

I don't think that any wires should run inside the boot itself.

The RH light is the fog light, on a phase 2 anyway.

My wiring in mine appears to stem from the hole to the LH side of the boot, I guess that it goes down and then across 'inside' the bumper bracket.

pug_ham
The RH light is the fog light, on a phase 2 anyway.

The right hand light in the valance is always the fog light on UK cars, its either a blank on phase 1/1.5 cars (orange indicators) or the reversing light on phase 2 cars.

All the wiring for the number plate, fog light & reversing lights are wired from the rear lights, for a phase 2 car all three run from the l/h rear light through the boot sill & out behind the bumper to the repective lights but on phase 1/1.5 cars the number plate lights loom runs from the r/h rear light & fog light from the l/h one.

phase2lights2and3.jpg

The phase 2 lights conversion article on the main website might help.

Graham.

Obey_R

Thanks, had seen that diagram before but didn't think to use it in this case! It's not been converted over to ph. 2, so the only explanation I can think of is when someone deceided to put the Lexus lights in, they had to bodge the wiring to the bumper from somewhere else!

pug_ham

A 1992 1.6 GTI is already phase 2 (assuming you are asking about the car listed in your signature) so the wiring for the rear valance lights should be as shown in the picture above, all connectors fitting into the back of the l/h rear light.

Graham.

Obey_R

Yeah sorry what I mean to say is my car isn't an ealier phase that has been converted - I will have a proper look when I take the lights out.