• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Driveshaft Re-build

wardy18

So now starting to look at all the old parts to re-vamp them for the new shell, my passenger drive shaft cv boot crapped itself when the front came round and hit the wall after the rear impact (no idea how)

Anyway please see the pic of the shaft in its current state, i need to know if it can still be used as a couple of parts have broken but from what i can see these parts are NOT vital.

There is a 3 point bracket which would clip onto the shaft holding in the cv joint (see green circles), unfortunately the arms have snapped and so this cannot be used anymore.

Also there is a small spring which if you follow the red lines sits in the middle of the cv joint and the dome topped item sits on the spring. However the sping has snapped

Hard to describe but from i can see the fact that the shaft is fitted between hub and gearbox and held together with the cv boot, nothing can fall apart?!?

Opinions please as im sure this has happened to others over the years

welshpug

as far as I know 1.6 driveshafts are not meant to be dismantled, so if they have come apart tghere may well be some damage.

wardy18

1.6??

These are (or should be) 309 GTi shafts

Its just the fact that the 3 little arms have snapped off that bracket and so this bracket will no longer clip on where the green circles show.

I think this and the spring are there purely to reduce wear by putting a little tension holding the shaft onto the cv joint.

Im racing for seconds at a time not doing 100 mile a day on a motorway.

Only my opinion but hopefully previous experience can set me on my way :)

welshpug

the outer CV on 1.9 205 and 309 shafts are the same and have more balls, and can be knocked off the shaft without being dismantled, that almost definitely looks to be a 1.6 or base model shaft to me :)

count how many splines you have on the outer CV.

wardy18

when you say outer cv, do you mean the end which goes through the hub?!

Im running 309 hubs

Ill have a count

wardy18

This end bracket that has snapped doesnt look like fresh snaps either and this bracket could definitely be un clipped to take cv apart

wardy18

Outer Splines = 25

Inner Splines (At the Diff) = 24

Are these 309 shafts?!

Ive always bought 309 GTi shafts and they have worked in my hubs

wardy18

Definitive Answer required - What is the difference between running 309 GTi Shafts and std 205 shafts?!

Also between 309 and 205 Hubs?!

Ie. Wider track, more splines, longer shaft

Regards

Simon

welshpug

simply wider track due to the 10mm longer wishbones each side. and a longer centre part of the driveshaft (by 10mm each side again)

wardy18

Great thanks, ill save future heart ache and replace thatt shaft shown above, its looks like it would still work to me but do i wanna risk it....no!

James_R

As said that looks like a 1.6 shaft, which means you'll have base model or 1.6Gti hubs on there, with the smaller bearings.

Pop a pic of the hub up

Tom Fenton

Another way to tell is to measure the outer size of the thread where the nut goes. 20mm is 1600. 24mm is 1900. Looks like 1600 stuff to me as others have said.

wardy18

ill measure tomorrow for sure!

I do know that front bearing measurements are:

Outer dia 82mm

Inner dia 42mm

Depth or Height 36mm

These are the same for 309 and 205 1.9gti, didn't look at 1.6 details

Simon

wardy18

just measured outer threads on each shaft and they both 24mm

These must be 309 gti shafts then yeh?

welshpug

they might be, I remember Miles commented that some manufacturers had made 1.9/309 length and splined shafts with 1.6 type joints.

wardy18

these are the ones I got with the old shell so never knew any better

In need of a new set of 309 1:9 gti shafts if anyone has a set?

wardy18

Anyone know if a 405 mi16 driveshaft has the extra 10mm length on them as with 309 units?

welshpug

405 (and most 306's) 600/886 compressed length, 205 1.6/1.9 is 567/840 left/right respectively.

wardy18

i found a website yesterday which stated every model of peugeot driveshaft lengths, very useful as 405 units are, as you say, even longer than 309 so if you can get a set fo these on adjustable wishbones you can get a veru wide track and easy camber adjust with no worry of popping cv joints through stretching them

but are these 405 ones as strong?! they come from the 1.9 and 2.0 Mi16 so i'd say so in my opinion!!

ill link up the site later as its very useful

welshpug

I wouldnt say they'd be any stronger, mine were identical to 1.9 205 abs items, bar being longer