• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Steering Rack Clunking

pugpete1108

was round the garage today and noticed a fair bit of clunking going on when turning the steering wheel, it sounds like its coming from the lower steering joint but cant be sure. i have replaced both tre and these have done 0 miles so it cant be that?

what else could be knocking down there? its polybushed and i'm pretty sure the ball joints ore ok? unless it could be the drop links? or i havent done something up properly :)

what i'm asking really is can a steering rack fail internally? its not pas or anything and the gaiter are in good nick.

swordfish210

Top Mounts, droplinks?

hengti

, bottom arm ball joints

if it's the rack, could be the track rods or the rack itself, although don't think they've a rep for probs

pugpete1108

i can feel it coming up the steering wheel and its mainly/worse when turning the wheel left so it could well be a droplink as they are pretty much the only part of the front susp i have not replaced.

i was just worried the rack was fubared. i'll have to get my head under there and get the missus to turn the wheel and see if i can pinpoint it.

hopeing its not balljoints as they are expensive :) , why didnt they make them replacable like most other pugs?

splant

i had a rack that had play in the nearside theres a plastic bush that had worn managed to replace it in situ but it was quite a fiddle got the bush from out of a s/h one ..

kate205gti

what state are the driveshafts in?

pugpete1108
what state are the driveshafts in?

not 100% tbh, it is not when driving (not that i have driven it far enough) its when stationary

just ordered some more droplinks just to eliminate that anyway

large

I had a problem like this. It turned out the bolts holding the rack on had worked loose :) .

pugpete1108
I had a problem like this. It turned out the bolts holding the rack on had worked loose :) .

good thinking batman :D will give it a check tomorrow

i took it off to paint it 5yrs ago so it could well be loose bolts B)

hothatch

inner steering joint bud, inside the gaiter, most cars they can be changed but unsure about the 205 ones. i hope they can because mine is shagged !!! :) easier for me though because the subframes going to be off.

pugpete1108
inner steering joint bud, inside the gaiter, most cars they can be changed but unsure about the 205 ones. i hope they can because mine is shagged !!! B) easier for me though because the subframes going to be off.

will keep that in mind mate, hopefully its not that.

it was ok before i started the conversion and hasnt been run on the road since so i cant see it being that. fingers crossed

hothatch
will keep that in mind mate, hopefully its not that.

it was ok before i started the conversion and hasnt been run on the road since so i cant see it being that. fingers crossed

fair enough, you know yourself whats changed on the car. but you know where else to look if your stuck B)

pugpete1108
fair enough, you know yourself whats changed on the car. but you know where else to look if your stuck B)

it'll turn out to be that now knowing my luck :(