• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Obey_R

Cheap Ebay Beam...

Obey_R

Well I need a new beam within the next 8 months but am in no rush!

Anyway, saw these on eBay - says he sells quite a few but from what I can tell they're only 'checked over' not at all rebuilt.

Has anyone bought one of these or know who it is doing them? Good buy?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peugeot-205-GTI-1-6-...=item1c11bae354

Baz

Ian does sell a lot, and seems a decent guy overall.

But, it's not cheap IMO, and 'checked over' is very vague. Buy one with your eyes open, could only be as good as one you're replacing.

Obey_R

That was my worry - like I said I'm in no rush to be buying one but there is the option of buying a fully recond. beam from on here for £3-400 or a 'checked over' one £100. But like you say, there's not much detail as to how good it is!

Baz

You're better off biting the bullet and getting a decent one from a member on here like Anthony, second to none service and you know what you're getting is a decent item, and will last for ages!

If you do get one from Anthony, you could collect it from me if needed as you're closer to me than him. :huh:

Edited by Baz

Tom Fenton

I'd question whether they are actually GTI beams? Certainly at least one of the ones in the pile behind him from the brakes appears to be a base model beam, these have smaller torsion bars and anti roll bar than GTI beams. So unless he is stripping the bars and replacing them with GTI ones, they will be more softly sprung.

If they are base model beams as I suspect, then there is a fair chance that they will be in good condition inside, however this isn't guaranteed. Certainly however they are not worth £100 for a base model beam, as unless they have been stripped, there is a very limited amount of checks that can be done, regardless of what the seller claims. If they had been stripped and checked then this is a different matter, but if that was the case I'd expect to see pictures showing the condition of the trailing arm pivot shafts. Certainly all the GTI beams I've stripped in the past few years have either been totally scrap, well past it, or very ready for a rebuild if you are lucky.

If you are planning to keep the car for any time then consider a decent beam a good investment. There are a number of people on here who can build you a beam, me included.

Obey_R

Links a dud :huh: You linked to your friends page, but I don't have any ;)

I will remember that, Baz - won't be until late this year but has to be done!

As for that sunroof handle, £12 delivered? Can bank transfer the money tomorrow morning?

Tom - Very much my plan, just seeing what the deal was with them. Will most likely be getting one from someone like yourself on here...

Got to get the rust sorted first!

Edited by Obey_R

jord294

or you could also buy one from me like this

post-11467-1272889618_thumb.jpg ;)

cheers baz :huh:

Obey_R

It was yours I was looking at last week - very impressed :huh:

jord294
It was yours I was looking at last week - very impressed :huh:

that one was sold to a guy in the isle of man who arranged the courier

i sold that for £540. but that included all brake parts, but no shockers

i have just built one for a member of PSOOC, and he is coming from hampshire to collect ;)

lewthepimp

a mate of mine brought one of these beams and it was decent enough for the money.

omega

there are a couple of ways of buying a beam

1 you buy a 2nd hand good beam that can last 500 miles or 10 years

pros cheap

cons you might have to replace again shortly

2 you buy a rebuilt beam of someone on here

pros will last,you now whats been replaced

cons might cost more than the car!!

Edited by omega

GG205rob

I bought one of these "checked over" beams from ebay, however when i got it one side was siezed up, not beyond repair but needed rebuilding.

Guest D11FF B

I'm also after a 1.9 rear beam. Who is able to sort one out for me? I see from the discussion that I was nearly taken in by the "cheap" beam option on ebay, but I want mine to last. I have new shocks and brakes already, I'm just in need of an unseized beam! Sorry I'm new on here and a bit of a novice to the forum scene! If you could help me out that would be great!!

Tom Fenton

I'm just finishing off building one, unmarked and I do mean unmarked shafts, new bearings and seals, all painted up, also fitted with grease nipples. Will be ready in the next couple of days, PM me if interested.

Baz
I'm also after a 1.9 rear beam. Who is able to sort one out for me? I see from the discussion that I was nearly taken in by the "cheap" beam option on ebay, but I want mine to last. I have new shocks and brakes already, I'm just in need of an unseized beam! Sorry I'm new on here and a bit of a novice to the forum scene! If you could help me out that would be great!!

Not far from you and can have them built to order. :)

omega

looks good but unless you take it apart you dont know but theres a 2 year warranty so they must have faith in it

Alastairh

No mention of GTi spec. It could well be a shiny base model beam...

harley

That's what I was worried about.

No harm in sending him an email though. And free postage from Burnley to Norwich makes this seem like a good deal.