• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ren

Recommend Me A New Headunit

Ren

Hey folks, i need a new headunit and have no idea what to look for so was hoping someone more knowledgeable than me would help.

Not too bothered about make etc, it just needs to be able to stream music via bluetooth from my phone and preferably have a USB slot on the front as well. Also needs 2 pre-outs or 1 and a dedicated sub out. Looking around £150 ish.

Thanks.

gixxerash

there lots of none make ones on ebay that should do all that you want and defo in that price range it's worth a look anyway...

large

I would get This.

Ren
there lots of none make ones on ebay that should do all that you want and defo in that price range it's worth a look anyway...

Just trawling Ebay now, don't really fancy a cheap make though.

I would get This.

Thanks Large, but I've not seen a tape for about 6 years so might struggle to play anything on it.

I know a lot of people don't rate Sony but the headunit that's just died on me was a Sony and has lasted about 11 years, also had a bluetooth Sony in the Vx which was great as there was nowhere to keep cd's so it was perfect and worked well.

Been looking at this http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165474 does anyone know if it's any good?

Any other ideas from the stereo gurus appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by Ren

gixxerash

i havbe an alpine in my car and love it to bits its easy to use and has loads of settings for sounds and subs

pugdamo

I also swear by Alpine,as said very easy to use and very good sound quality.

Paul_13

I've had a Sony headunit for nearly 5 years now, been through 6 cars and a nasty crash. Still going, have to use the ATT button to turn the headunit up sometimes, spacks out a bit.

Never got on with alpine headunit, a few mates have owned them.

woo83

Anyone got any experiance with These looks ideal for the 205 if you wanted I pod and cd functions but wanted to retain an oe look, the lights are amber too.

BusEngineer
Anyone got any experiance with These looks ideal for the 205 if you wanted I pod and cd functions but wanted to retain an oe look, the lights are amber too.

That looks great

Like a modern OE look, would also be interested to hear any experiences of them

Good price too

jord294

that looks ideal for my resto 309 gti :huh:

cheers

timb1046

i also have an alpine. its great and has 3 pre-outs, and a sub thing, and cross-over built in! its been through 7 cars and bashed around alot but it still works perfectly, and it looks cool. (plus you can change the light colours which is cool)

Simes

I bought one of these to replace my 10year old range topping Sony MD unit.

alpine_cda_105-400-400.jpg

Alpine CDA105 - ticks all the boxes - Iphone and USB compatible, 3 pre-outs - a nice bit of kit.

Edited by Simes

stutto
1_categoryId_165474"]http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165474[/url] does anyone know if it's any good?

I have the (old) 2700 which is a model or two down.

It works well most of the time, but does not always connect straight away. This could well be my phone, though.

The radio is fine, I hardly use the CD (after mini disc the skipping is a let down, plus larger and more nickable discs to store)

The 2700 only has a built in mic and due to the HU's position in the 205 it does not work that well.

I came from an Alpine MD unit. I think that I have lost some quality - but since I have uprated engine mounts and a full magnex it is not really an ideal place to try and set up a system that an audiophile would be proud of anyway.

I was looking at Alpines, especially as some are available with amber or switchable illumination, but at the time the 2700 was much cheaper than an Alpine with the same features. Maybe I'll climb back up the ladder next time.

Edited by stutto

Ren

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Think I'm going with the Sony though as the Alpine mentioned above needs a seperate adaptor for bluetooth streaming and also the usb is on the back so not easy to plug and remove a memory card into. Most of the other bluetooth headunits need seperate adaptors as well unless looking at higher priced models.

Cheers

kyepan

the only thing i would really want out of a head unit would be totally built in bluetooth hands free, including a mic that works properly!

does such a thing exist?

Ren

I think if you look at the Alpine that Simes mentioned but the next model up (think it was CDA-105ir) that had full bluetooth handsfree. As a lot of these headunits use a seperate bluetooth adaptor plugged in the back I would imagine it to have a microphone to place somewhere in the car. Not fully built in I know but I doubt an inbuilt mic would work that well with the positioning of the headunit.

I'm not really looking for handsfree, more for the music streaming as I found not having cd's everywhere in the car was brilliant and i'm not into the whole Ipod thing would rather use my phone, so didn't really pay a great deal of attention to the handsfree kits.

timb1046

seeing as you know what you want your best bet is to go into hellsfrauds, and get them to recomend you what fits the bill, then go home and trawl the internet/ebay and get it cheaper than hellfords do it.