• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stubby205

306 Gti6 Calipers

stubby205

ive heard some people have the 306 gti6 callipers fitted to 205's and as i need new disks and pads i thort i may aswell upgrade to the 306 gti6. i was just wondering what i need apart from the obvious callipers and new disks, any advice on what else and which disks and pads would be very helpfull thanks

pug_ham

If its for the 1.6 listed in your signature, you'll also need either a pair of base model hubs or 1.9 GTI hubs & driveshafts along with the caliper mounting bolt.

Also if it is for an otherwise standard 1.6 GTI just buy decent standard bits & use them instead.

Good quality brakes on your car should be more than adequate imo.

Graham.

hothatch
If its for the 1.6 listed in your signature, you'll also need either a pair of base model hubs or 1.9 GTI hubs & driveshafts along with the caliper mounting bolt.

Also if it is for an otherwise standard 1.6 GTI just buy decent standard bits & use them instead.

Graham.

Why can't they fit to 1600 hubs ? I thought the yokes were exactly the same ?

Thanks

Ben

stubby205

Graham.

ok thankyou, any suggestions on places to get cheapish decent (<---- i no these two words dont go together) disks and pads?

Anthony
Why can't they fit to 1600 hubs ? I thought the yokes were exactly the same ?

1.6 hubs have a different offset to base/1.9/306 hubs, and hence while the caliper would fit, the disk wouldn't fit and line up.

hothatch
1.6 hubs have a different offset to base/1.9/306 hubs, and hence while the caliper would fit, the disk wouldn't fit and line up.

Well I didn't know that. Lookls like I need 1900 hubs and shafts for my build then. Thanks for the repy

Ben

pug_ham
ok thankyou, any suggestions on places to get cheapish decent (<---- i no these two words dont go together) disks and pads?

im looking at these http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Performance/...4/0/57745/36459 any advice as to wether these are good disks?

I think you can get better for less.

VFM / performance wise a good set of discs (such as Brembo) ought to be more than adequate & around half the price but there is no need for the grooves or cross drilled discs on a road car other than pub points.

Pads are very much down to choice but if you can find them Id get some pagid blacks (fast road) but I've just seen some EBC greenstuff for ~£25 delivered on ebay (which is another good place to look for your discs) but some people don't like greenstuff because they are harsh on discs & often have juddering issues.

Graham.

stubby205
I think you can get better for less.

VFM / performance wise a good set of discs (such as Brembo) ought to be more than adequate & around half the price but there is no need for the grooves or cross drilled discs on a road car other than pub points.

Pads are very much down to choice but if you can find them Id get some pagid blacks (fast road) but I've just seen some EBC greenstuff for ~£25 delivered on ebay (which is another good place to look for your discs) but some people don't like greenstuff because they are harsh on discs & often have juddering issues.

Graham.

ok thankyou for that i appreciate it ;) i will get looking now.

Paul_13

Get gti6 brake setup with Pagid/Mintex 1144/Feroddo 2500 pads. You will need flexi hoses off of Miles (go to ebay store). All you need. You will amazed at the braking performance. Nice cheapish setup.

Steer clear of Green stuff they are like the ripspeed of halfords.

Edited by Paul_13

205turbo

use base model hubs ie diesel van, will fit straight on and you can keep the same driveshaft

collis

As paul 13 said use the standard gti 6 setup as i had this on my old gti 6 and worked good enough for wat i wanted with out spending mega money.

Im looking to get the gti 6 calipers on my 205 anyone no of a good place to get them from sorry to steal the thread

Edited by collis

Paul_13

Wanted thread?

They aren't that expensive from main dealers, 307 hdi calipers were roughly £60 each from main stealers, doesn't include yokes though.

collis

Cheers paul ill have a little look into then and start up a wanted thread

pug_ham
ok ive found some good priced brembo disks

http://www.bremboshop.co.uk/brembo-origina...10_p4137180.htm

but the pads ive found are two diff types n i dnt no which i need its either

http://www.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/ebc-brakes-p...45_p1236590.htm

Thats a good price for the discs imo & the pad style you need ought to be the first one you linked to which I left quoted above assuming you still have the bendix calipers fitted.

I've never run greenstuff but have read various different reports (all bad) so I agree with the suggestion of trying to find some Mintex 1144's or (my choice) Pagid blacks but several people have given good reports for the Ferrodo premier pads from places like Halfords which are under £20 a set afaik.

I'd personally spend £80 on quality new standard bits rather than £100 + for the GTI-6 set up, hubs to fit them (+ driveshafts depending on if you opt for 1.9 ones) & new flexi brake lines which could mean you need the rigid pipes as well when you try to remove the old ones.

Also consdier if you are still using the 1.6 GTI 14" alloys you'll need 15" wheels to fit the GTI-6 brakes.

Graham.

DaveW

Plus the weight of the gti6 cailpers!, i had greenstuff on a 1.6 i quite liked em much less fade under fast road use ;)

stubby205

wow thanks for all the comments, gona have a proper read of this tommorow as i got work at 6am ;)

shalmaneser

I'm really happy with my gti-6 stoppers, sure they're a bit heavy but they do rip your hface off when braking hard - I had new 1.6 calis and they weren't anything like as good.

I got 1.9 shafts and hubs because I wasn't sure about the 1.6 shafts handling gti-6 power but having compared the two back to back there is barely any difference, and I wish I'd gone for base model hubs instead of faffing around getting some 1.9 hubs and shafts.

stubby205

thanks for the replies, ive decided to just stick with the 1.6 setup. ive orderd the brembo disks now just tring to decide which pads to go for????

FEROD.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Performance/...4/0/95554/36459

MINTEX.

http://www.auto-nation.co.uk/cart/product....=276&page=1

any idea if these 1.9 pads would still fit the 1.6 caliper? as cant find them for the 1.6

BLACK DIAMOND.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Performance/...4/0/59048/36459

pug_ham

Of those pads I'd go for the Ferodo but you need to find them in the 1.6 GTI (Bendix caliper) fitment, 1.9 pads will not fit the Bendix calipers on your car.

The picture below shows what the Bendix fitment pads look like;

mdb1215.th.jpg

Graham.

Rippthrough

Are the 205 bendix calipers the symmetrical or assymetrical fitment ones?

If the latter, I've a set of 1144's here for 'em that have done about ~1000 miles, if that.

welshpug

The set I have here are Asymmetrical, could do with a new set of pads too as some Numpty put them in wrong..