• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dee205

Removing Lower Steering Column From Rack...

dee205

How the hell do you get the lower steering column removed from the steering rack? I've got everything else unbolted including the bolt on the nuckle but it's as awkward as anything to get the rack and column seperated... Is there an easy way? It's a PAS rack too.

Cheers

jimistdt

I found I had to disconnect the indicator and light looms from the top of the column to get it so I could raise the column enough to seperate it from the top of the U/J. But even then, when it came to refit I had to remove the rubber grommit in the footwell to give the enough room to engage the ends of the column and knuckle. It's a twat of a job that takes longer than you think it will.

rallysteve

Have you completely pulled out the pinch bolt on the UJ. It wont pull off unless you have

Steve

Paul_13

Is it square or splined?

I found the square drive is easier in my experience to get out, undo pinch bolt totally and pull it towards you (this means turning the wheel so that the pinch bolt hole is away from you) it should pivot off.

dee205

Got it sorted. It was splined after hours of fighting with it. took out the pinch bolt at the top of the lower column and managed to level the lower part away from the rack enough. A piece of timber and a big hammer knocked it out from the bottom. Happy days!

Next problem is how to safely lower the subframe enough to get the rack slid out. What's the best way. I know there's a lot bolted to it... the lower engine mount being one. Anyone know a handy way. Space is very limitedto allow the rack to move.

Cheers for the help

Paul_13

If it's non PAS you can slide it out without dropping subframe, I managed to but french tolerances will probably prove otherwise.......

woodsy

Think you will have to lower subframe down slightly, try removing the 4 rear bolts and see if that gives enough room as its been while since i done one, possibly the gearlinkage where it sits on subframe may need undoing to.

dee205

After hours of trying to get it slid out with the rear of the subframe lowered I gave up on that idea.

Had to undo the lower mount bolt and undo the two bushed bolts at the side of the subframe which were siezed solid and decided to twist on me so the had to meet Mr 4" grinder! Removing the subframe completely tomorrow and gonna drop the engine out too while I'm at it. Will get at everything now.

Paul_13

Bit of a ball ache! Guess I was lucky then with my tolerances

dee205

It's a PAS rack so the solid pipes make it a whole lot wider and harder to move about. The Haynes manual says the subframe has to come off too.

I was taking the car to bits anyway, just wanted to get the PAS now and move the car out of the garage so I can get the GTi in. Looks like it will have to come out bit by bit!