• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Brian M

Power Steering Conversion - Piping

Brian M

Hello folks,

I'm asking this on behalf of someone as he's retired and not great with the ol' technology.

I've done a bit of research for a him on how to route his power steering pipes for a conversion he wants to do on the 205 both on here and 205 gti drivers forums.

I managed to get this description of how to do the conversion, much of which is telling the man how to suck eggs, it gives a rough description of where one pipe goes, but not all of them.

Can anyone give me a description of how to route the pipes? So far we know that the reservoir is mounted in front of the battery, the pipe on the top loops round the engine bay and back into the steering rack, we can see the one that comes from the bottom of the reservoir to the pump, and on my 309 there appears to be one that routes back towards the dizzy then dissapears although we might be mistaken? So our question was where does the other pipe run that goes back to the pump again from the steering rack?

A diagram would be brilliant but I realise there isn't really an official one kicking about for this, unless it's a diesel engine and if there were any similarities?

Any help is much appreciated to pass onto Bob.

Cheers,

Brian.

dee205

Doing a PAS conversion too. I'm usig the PAS from a late model 205 with the pump drive off the cam and bolted to the gearbox. It's going onto my 205 Mi16 which still has the original pulley on the cam that drives the PAS on the 405 Mi16. And it will be bolted back on that position.

The pipe work I removed was like this..

Reservoir mounted on slam panel

Both pipes coming off it were routed to the right and behinf the battery.

Top pipe went to the return end of the rack

Bottom pipe went to the return of the pump... low pressure with standard clip.

High pressure side of pump went to inlet of rack. This being the shortest with high pressure piping and connections

That's where all the pipe work go. How you route the pipes all depends on What engine is in the car?

Where was the original pump mounted and where is it going to be mounted? Ans also where the reservior is going.

Damien

jord294

what year is the 205?

i have various parts here to convert to power steering