• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
aymen_a22

Which Brakes Will Fit The Xs?

aymen_a22

I bought a set of disks and calipers for a 1.9 GTi from my local scrappy and when I came to fit them on my 1990 XS I had no luck (so sold them).

I have read that they should fit straight on, however the disk was catching on the hub.

I heard someone say that 306 disks will also fit on the XS as they use the same disk as the GTi however do I have to also change the calipers as I only want to upgrade the disks to decrease the huge amount of brake fade the XS experiences.

Hope you can help

M_R_205

if im correct, the 1.9 brakes should go straight on as the hubs have the same offset as the 1.9 hubs,

However the 1.6 brakes will not fit unless you use the 1.9 discs

Perhaps yo got the 1.6 brakes by mistake?

Paul.

swordfish210

They sound like 1.6 discs to me.

Jer309GTi

1.9 calipers and discs should bolt straight onto an XS, I put them on my old XS with no problems. As above, sounds like the scrappy gave you the wrong brakes

aymen_a22

Thanks for the extreamly fast response.

That sounds great, I think I will look into getting some more 1.9 Calipers and get new 1.9 disks for it.

One other thing I wasn't sure of was what options I had with my calipers as far better brakes go? Or is it just a better idea to get 1.9 disks and calipers?

Thanks again

Jer309GTi

Do you mean what options have you got keeping the standard xs calipers?

aymen_a22

Yes that was what I meant. I don't really want to spend too much however if the 1.9 disks and 1.9/1.6 calipers are the only option then it may have to be.

Thanks again

tdr_1976

I went the 1.6 Gti calipers and 1.9GTi disks route, the change in the car's breaking has been better than I expected, well worth the money!

brakes.jpg

AlexB

i put saxo vtr calipers and discs on my xs

straight on no worries

aymen_a22

Thanks very much for all the help.

I think I will go for 1.6 calipers and 1.9 disks.

I was also wondering if the actual caliper for the 1.6 and 1.9 is the same as the xs, the only difference being the pad carrier? Or are they different?

If I could get away with changing only the carrier it would be great, if it is an option.

Thanks again

pug_ham
I was also wondering if the actual caliper for the 1.6 and 1.9 is the same as the xs, the only difference being the pad carrier? Or are they different?

If I could get away with changing only the carrier it would be great, if it is an option.

XS to 1.6 the only major difference is the pad carrier but the 1.9 Girling caliper is totally different.

XS & 1.6GTI Bendix pads;

mdb1215.th.jpg

1.9 GTI Girling pads;

girlingpads.th.jpg

Graham.