• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mick3pugs

Indicator Stalk

mick3pugs

Hi folks,

I need to change my indicator/light stalk and being non-mechanically minded,i could do with picking your brains please!!

After removing the lower steering column cover,and un-screwing the 2 screws,it won't pull out towards you as the top columncover/dash is in the way....will this have to be removed? or will it sqeeze back/down between the actual steering column and the metal bracket which the stalk is attached to?

Cheers

Mick.

jason7579

If it's anything like the washer stalk then it will come out with a bit of jiggling

eddie bullit

I think when I replaced one of mine I took the dial surround off as well.I'm not that handy with a spanner and I managed just take y time.

Edited by eddie bullit

pugpete1108

i just done both of mine and found it alot easier to remove the dash surround and then the upper colum cover, it makes it easier to unplug it too.

mick3pugs

Cheers folks.

mick3pugs

Ok, I have to remove the indicator stalk on my 205 GTi phase 2.

I have removed the lower steering column shroud already. Have also removed heater control knobs with 2 screws and 2 screws from coin tray area. I can't see any more screws but nothing else will budge!

If I remove the steering wheel, will the indicator stalk come off? What else should I be doing?? (to get the stalk off...not instead of!!)

All help gratefully received!!

Cheers

Mick

Edited by mick3pugs

MrG

look underneath where the lower shroud was fitted and you'll see a metal 'tray' type of thing. On the metal 'tray' you'll see two screws underneath the indicator unit, these secure the indicator unit, so its a simple case of undoing these and disconnecting the plug on the back of the stalk and withdrawing. the tricky bit is doing it without removing most of the dash but the thing can just about be pulled through. You need to juggle it a bit and it does come out. Have you got thin fingers? It's not hard just a challenge. I did this a few weeks back, the indicator is far easier than the headlight switch.

Edited by MrG

mick3pugs

There's no way the stalk will come out from the bottom...too tight.

tried to get the upper column off but won't move. I've taken out the 4 screws but don't want to force anything! Need to replace the stalk so I can get the MOT done.....

Advice??

mick3pugs

won't come out from the bottom at all....no chance!

jackherer

I merged your two topics, there is no need to start a new one on the same subject.

mick3pugs

thx.

MrG

I just managed to increase the opening by forcing the gap open a bit, then the old came out, and I then pushed the new in. Brute force maybe but it worked.

dch1950

Hi ,

this really is a simple job and needs no forcing at all if you just drop the steering column a bit by undoing the 2 nuts on the upper cross bar. You can then get to the plugs and then just ease the indicator out. When I changed mine for MOT re-test last Thursday it took about 10 minutes.

regards

Dave

CaptainP

Definitely do the above and drop the steering column down, also a good tip for when changing an ignition barrel to do the same.

mick3pugs

Cheers folks,

Been on holiday, but dropped the steering column today and it worked, just as described !!!!

Thanks.