• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Baz

Autofive Big Disc Kit Problem!

Baz

I have some new discs to fit to a car with, as title, an Autofive 285mm disc kit fitted, these are adaptor brackets using stanadard 1.9 Girling calipers with 285mm discs.

I attempted to do this tonight, but was faced with an issue when trying to remove the calipers to get to the disc;

th_DSC01396.jpg

th_DSC01397.jpg

I can't undo the main bolts securing the assembly to the hub as there's not enough room around them to get a socket or even spanner on the hex head, and can't undo the cap-screw securing the caliper to the bracket as it has a nut on the disc side that moves, and again, no access to get anything on it to hold it still! :lol:

They can't be supplied new like this? I presume they were originally supplied with another cap-screw to affix the whole assembly to the hub, or even the bolts used are meant to be the other way around, so at least you could always undo the capscrew, then giving you space to get to the other bolt head, or even some special tools to get them together/apart! Someone's obviously fitted them previously too!!

The only way i can think of getting one undone is either turning down a 19mm socket to get on the hex bolt, but worry that the socket's wall will then be too thin and have no strength, or adapting a spanner to make it small enough to fit in the small space there is to hold the nut and undo the capscrew... B) It all just seems a bit far fetched and there has to be a simpler option!?!

I'm at a loss, and have had to put it back together and come home without doing it, and can't see how to do this at the moment! Any help or suggestions would be apreciated! :)

Cheers

Baz

oz.

So the nut on the back of the 'top' bolt has flat faces on it? If so... (bit of a bodge) could you not wedge in a flathead screwdriver to stop it from turning and undo it that way?

Cloverleaf

That's what I was thinking. Try wedging some bar in there. If that doesn't work modify a cheap spanner!

Paul_13

Hmmmmm, worst comes to worst weld a small bar to remove bolt and replace with something suitable.

Bit dodgy with brakefluid, seals etc lol

Edited by Paul_13

Batfink

Its been about 6 years since I looked but I have the kit somewhere. I think it had all capscrews rather than traditional bolts.

Baz

I've tried all that already my friends! B) Even with the caliper removed from the carrier as it gives more space, it still just isn't enough.

I'm yet to have another bash, i'm going to this afternoon though, got a trackday to do in it tomorrow!

Batfink

can you get an impact hammer on the capscrew? Might undo it despite not being able to hold the nut?

oz.

Cut it and make sure you have a replacement ready.

Baz

I'm waaay ahead of you both!!

The nut just spins even with impact driver/gun. And cutting one off is all well and good, if i could get access to it, and have some replacements by about 5am tomorrow, i don't have that luxury right now, although am seeing what i can do!

I need state of the art, cutting edge stuff i'm afraid! :)

notamondayfan

So at the moment you can't remove this disc to access the nut on the inside?

And there's so way to stop the nut from spinning?

Can you hold the cap screw? If so, maybe you could hammer and chissel the nut loose?

I take it the angled ring end of a spanner also won't reach the nut?

A bit more extreme, but how about cutting a wedge out of the disc with an angle grinder to allow you access to the nut?

I hate it when seemingly straight forward jobs take 100x longer than expected!!

Deano.

Baz

I've actually managed to get one side apart with general BFI! Lots of different sized chisels to wedge the nut still, and a BFh!

But, next hurdle, the replacement discs we got from Hi-Spec don't fit, wrong offset and if anything are a couple of mm too big. :)

We got them from here after being told by Autofive that they didn't have any, and to go to Hi-Spec, the guy at Hi-Spec seemed to know exactly what we were after and said it wasn't a problem etc! :)

The ones that came off look more like a pair of Gti-6 discs i have kicking around tbh...

Batfink

Crack the hub nut off and take the whole hub off the car?

welshpug

big splodge of weld on the nut?

oz.

Erm.. guys, in case you hadn't noticed - he's got one off!

Hi-Spec FAILZ

Batfink

In my defence I was writing as he was posting,

Baz
Crack the hub nut off and take the whole hub off the car?

Would've been even more difficult i reckon, trying to hold the whole assembly down, and do something with the nut (and still not give any more access!)

big splodge of weld on the nut?

How?

I can barely get my fingers to it!!

Anyway, as said with BFI i've managed to sort it, the Hi-Spec new discs don't fit, being a few mm too big and massively the wrong offset, so i've just whacked on the pair of GTi6 discs i had kicking around, instead of the cracked drilled ones that were on it, the '6 ones seem to be perfect fitment though surprisingly!

DSC01398.jpg

So after all that, and the hassle we had trying to source the replacement discs, because i and a few friends all pretty much doubted they'd be a generic disc, i could've just had the old ones up against some '6 ones and seen that they're the bl00dy same! So at least if anything, this topic serves for those that don't know, GTi6 discs fit with your wanky Autofive big disc kit! :)

tagy

I have these adaptors on my car, got standard GTI6 discs also.

But I have never had any problem removing them, just undid the cap head bolt. I can't quite remember if I had to hold a nut on the other side, but I am bleeding my brakes tomorrow and will have a look to see if I have anything noticeably different to your pictures.

I did have a problem when I fitted new pads and tried to put the wheel back on it was hitting the caliper :) so had to grind 1mm of the calliper and put the wheel weights on the outside.

tagy

OK I have checked, yours do seem to have been put together differently. On mine the cap head bolt goes through into the hub so can be undone easily.

img0406o.jpg

welshpug

I see the spacers on Tagy's kit are arranged the same as Baz's car, os would gti6 discs fit tagy's?

Edited by welshpug