• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Houghy

Rear Beam Question

Guest Houghy

My 205 is in need of a new beam, as the wheel has been catching on the inside arch and the rear bumper, now ive been and piecked one up from a scrapyard and was wondering if someone could tell the how to tell if the rear beam is ok before fitting it? i can get pictures if needs be.

Thanks

Dave

jord294

chaces are, the one from the scrapyard will need rebuilding too

fetch it to me if you have a spare couple of hours, and i'll strip it for you, to let you see how they wear

i'm only half an hour from you :P

j_turnell

Also is your car a Gti?? if so was the beam removed from a Gti?? as the torsion bars and arb are a lot thinner on basemodels.

Guest Houghy

Cheers Jord i will bare that in mind mate, will this cost? ;) the beam came from a 205 gti yes, the reason i thought i would give it a go is that the beam has been off at some point because it has been painted before, therefore i thought that it may have been rebuilt at some point, the breakers i got it from give 90 day warranty on it, so if its chuffed then i can get my money back :wub: so not all bad.

Guest Houghy

Beam in question, dont have a clue if you can tell anything from that pic but thought id give it a try lol

14113_417681484383_577459383_5249972_775542_n.jpg

jord294

no cost

i'll show you what goes wrong.

i'd be interested in your old beam though ;)

Guest Houghy

before i put it on ill give you a pm and sort something out, if this ones in good nick and i put it on im sure we could do some sort of deal with my old one ;)

jord294

you can never tell with pictures :)

personally, i would strip it down anyway even if it was just to regrease and fit new seals

some people think that just because both arms are moving freely, that the beam is in good order

only to find that a few months later, it needs new parts

MerlinGTI

Dude just pop round Jord's ! he knows a 'little' bit about beams :) He will be able to point you too or sell you parts for them too I'd expect.

It would be silly not to take him up on his offer based on the fact hes so close and one of the forums main beam-building-refurbing-selling-buying chaps.

Seals are around £12 IIRC (ballpark stab to be honest)

Baz

f*** me, this might aswel be a wanted thread. :)

miamichris
f*** me, this might aswel be a wanted thread. :)

;)