• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Obey_R

Rear Beam

Obey_R

Couldn't find anything in a search so sorry if it's been covered before.

It's a long shot but I need to replace the rear radius arms or just get a new beam altogether - now I have access to a 1.1 Junior being broken for spares, are the beams the same on the 1.6?

pugpete1108
Couldn't find anything in a search so sorry if it's been covered before.

It's a long shot but I need to replace the rear radius arms or just get a new beam altogether - now I have access to a 1.1 Junior being broken for spares, are the beams the same on the 1.6?

im sure its just the arb that differ. you could fit that to the junior beam i suppose

Obey_R

Will have a look into that, thanks. I assume my the arb from my old beam would go straight on, providing they're not damaged?

miamichris
Will have a look into that, thanks. I assume my the arb from my old beam would go straight on, providing they're not damaged?

the anti roll bar, torsion bars, drum brake set up are all different/inferior on a base model beam.

I would strip your beam first to see what the score is. If your arm shafts are knackered but your cross tube is ok then I'd work with the gti beam, you can then strip the 1.1 beam and see if it has better arm shafts. If not, then you need to either buy new from peugeot or find some in the scrapyard off another beam.

If your cross tube has ovalled then you can use the 1.1 cross tube if it's ok and swap all the gti parts over to it. Buy all new bearings, seals etc. from peugeot, follow the guide on the main page and rebuild it.

Obey_R
the anti roll bar, torsion bars, drum brake set up are all different/inferior on a base model beam.

I would strip your beam first to see what the score is. If your arm shafts are knackered but your cross tube is ok then I'd work with the gti beam, you can then strip the 1.1 beam and see if it has better arm shafts. If not, then you need to either buy new from peugeot or find some in the scrapyard off another beam.

If your cross tube has ovalled then you can use the 1.1 cross tube if it's ok and swap all the gti parts over to it. Buy all new bearings, seals etc. from peugeot, follow the guide on the main page and rebuild it.

Thanks for that, gives me something to think about! Will try and get the rear beam off when I have a week off in May.

mhyphenl
Thanks for that, gives me something to think about! Will try and get the rear beam off when I have a week off in May.

Just bear in mind that the beam tube is also different, the internal dimensions are the same and they can be used but the thickness of the tube wall is different, the 1.1 is narrower and so not as strong. Also the clamp thingy that straps under the fuel tank won't clamp on due to that difference. I used one for a while as many on here have but I've now swapped back to a gti one just because I didn't really trust it.