• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jean_quemener

Running No Front Arb 1.9 Gti

Jean_quemener

just been fitting my new drop links to the pug and a guy up the workshop said that i shouldnt bother running my front ARB as it would make it easyer for the car to turn in and keep grip , but surly removing the ARB would have a bad effect on the handling, just wanting to get the bars on i kept nodding and let him waffel on, is he rite or is this just something he has decided to make up haha.

thanks jean

swordfish210

Some people like it. I tried it and i wasn't overjoyed, there was virtually no turn-in and the car felt very sluggish to change direction. I reconnected it after about a week and havn't looked back since

jackherer

Its technically an MOT failure... Caught me out once.

brumster

It's quite a common thing to do on wet conditions, depends how you like the car to handle but I did this at a wet Rockingham last year. It supples up the front and, where it's wet and there's very little grip anyway, it can improve front end traction. But in the dry, I'm not sure it's a win-win scenario, the body roll would be too much. I'm talking standard suspension here, of course - fancy shocks and appropriate springs, and you could very well do without it. But on a standard road car? I'd just keep it hooked up.

Jean_quemener

im quite interested to feel the differance now, im running 309 bones and ream beam with spax so its not relay standard at all, he seamed to think with the 309 giving that extra camber that without the ARB the front would stick to the road better, btu the back would become alot lighter. sounds like a win to loose

brumster

Give it a try - not much effort to drop a link out. Just take it easy on the first few corners ^_^ see how you like it.

Jean_quemener

well my car has no engine in it at the moment so i will have to wait and see.

thanks for the replys

Baz

Standard-ish suspension i decided there's not much benefit, you end up with so much bodyroll and it didn't seem to be much quicker despite having amazing amounts of front end grip/turn-in.

th_P183.jpg

th_P258.jpg

;)

However, i don't run one on another car, but then it has much wilder/stiffer suspension setup anyway.

Paul_13

You love no front ARB Baz :lol:

Don't think i've seen a 205 cock a wheel as much as that ;)

Edited by Paul_13

DamirGTI

... i'm using mine with disconnected drop links too ;) and for quite a long time now ..

but the car is lowered , and with stiffer springs ..

Damir :lol:

Jean_quemener

thats propper on 3 wheels there, oh and Baz im glad i took your advice to rebuild my rear beam myself got my beam rebuilt and back on the car now quite enjoyed it to be honest just need to sort the arb tonight shes not sitting level then she done.

Baz
You love no front ARB Baz :(

nope, that's the only ever time i've not run it mate, one run on a sprint, and re-connected it, it doesn't feel that great with that much bodyroll! IIRC it had a 22mm rear ARB in then too, which would of course help the rear wheel lift!

TT205
You love no front ARB Baz :)

Don't think i've seen a 205 cock a wheel as much as that B)

Stick a 25mm rear arb in and it'll do that as well!

Do both and we can have another thread about how to roll a 205 :D

oli-pug
Stick a 25mm rear arb in and it'll do that as well!

Do both and we can have another thread about how to roll a 205 :huh:

I'm currently running no front roll bar & 350lbs springs, and a 23mm tb/28mm arb rear beam :) It's interesting I must say :D

Actually seems quite balanced mid and exit of the corner but turn-in isn't great so i'll probably refit the standard 17mm front bar for now.

Cameron

Anti-roll bars work by reducing grip at the axle they're fitted to, and are used to balance the handling (wonder how many times I've said this now..).

On the 205 though, they have more of an effect by controlling body roll and keeping your geometry nice. If you remove it on standard springs then you're going to end up like Baz with comedy amounts of body roll and some pretty horrible handling.

If you've stiffened up the spring rates a lot, they'll be doing a lot more work to control the body than the ARB ever was, so it's possible to ditch one or both. Whether you should or not depends on how you think your car handles, not on anyone else's opinion. If you think you suffer from understeer and have stiff enough springs to ditch the ARB without turning it into an ocean liner then go for it. You'll make more grip available at the front end. Obviously this won't help if your understeer is caused by poor driving like being heavy on the throttle or going too quick.

Also bear in mind that if you have a sodding great rear ARB and you remove the front then you're going to further increase the tendency to oversteer - Oli. :huh:

Edited by Cameron

Jean_quemener

could be fun to have alittle play with then haha, its just gonna be a try and test thing i think