• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest neilrocks

Steering Rack Adjustment?

Guest neilrocks

I've been noticing some front end clunking and steering dodgyness.

I thought it was the N/S inner ball joint on the track rod (not track rod end) but, upon removing the baffle/gaiter, it's clear it's the actual rod protruding from the rack that's got a lot of play.

Is there anyway of adjusting or tightening this up or do I need to splash out on a whole new rack? ^_^

The old haynes isn't any help at this point!

Cheers

welshpug

up/down play? or inner rod end joint play?

Tom Fenton

It could either be the ball joint that screws into the end of the rack that has the play in it, these are easy enough to replace. Otherwise it can be that the bush in the rack body itself has worn and this is the source of your play. If this is the case then it is recon rack time, although they are not dear at about £40.

Guest neilrocks
It could either be the ball joint that screws into the end of the rack that has the play in it, these are easy enough to replace. Otherwise it can be that the bush in the rack body itself has worn and this is the source of your play.

Cheers Guys

Yeah it is the rack then for sure :) The track rod ball joint & track rod-end ball joint are fine (+I've checked and... yeah, it's fooked!).

Ok, so another question then;

I have access to a 1.6(?) auto and a diesel 205 (not sure of age) will either of these be compatible? Is it just a case of "square" shank or " round/splined" shank fitment to the rack? Or are there other differences? (ya get me??)

Hope you can help!

Cheers... again!

Neil.

PS

If this is the case then it is recon rack time, although they are not dear at about £40.

....not dear, HA! It bloody is when, "The Lambo" only cost £35 over 5years of motoring ago! (that's cutting a carbon footprint!.... although with the drilled jets I'm not sure if it's by much! :) )