• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest martymcfly

Rear Shock Replacement

Guest martymcfly

Car failed MOT on leaking shock so want to replace this myself. Is this difficult? fairly mechanically minded but just wondered if need any special tools as the torsion bar on the rear.

New wipers, rear brakes need adjusting and leaking shock and MOT here we come. Not bad for a £50 car

Fox

Nope. Two bolts, I'd advise swaping both, but thats just me!

Guest martymcfly

cheers

Thats what I thought. Feels great to be back in a 205 and saving it from the scrap yard

Just need a drivers door

Tom Fenton

Easy enough job as above, just get plenty of wd40 or similar and a wire brush round the upper mounting bolt as the exposed threads at the end of the bolt tend to corrode up and make it a pig to undo.

Guest martymcfly

Will make sure I soak it the night before to give me the best chance of getting them undone

Garage wanted nearly £200 plus vat to replace which would have made it not worthwhile to repair

SurGie

Or saw them off if they dont move.

Henry Yorke

I have forgotten if the 205 has that magical Peugeot combination of 16 and 18mm bolts on the rear shock, which is not in your average socket set. Just make sure you have the right tools before you start and also note which way round the shock bolts go as some people put them on back to front which makes them a bugger to get off.

Rupertfinch

I ended up needing A LOT of heat on mine, as in my youthful ignorance I didn't use any penetrating spray before my attempts to remove. Get busy with the WD40 and a wire brush!

boombang

Air gun makes this a seriously quick job - even if you get them whizzed off by a local place, do back up and replace when you get home.

pug_ham
Or saw them off if they dont move.

No, don't do that, access isn't great to start with & you're likely to cause more damage than good, especially when the upper mounting bolts are no longer sold by Peugeot & one side is above the back box so you'd have to remove it to get to the bolt with a hacksaw plus the lower bolts have a large tendency to seize into the radius arm making replacing them a mare. Stupid suggestion imo, anymore like this please keep to yourself.

The upper nut & bolts are 18mm & the lower nut 24mm iirc.

Access to the threads on the upper nut & threads is awkward because they are fitted with the bolt head inside the beam arm, otherwise you can't get them out.

Scrub the exposed thread as best you can with a wire brush & plenty of WD40 to clean the threads & make sure you have decent spanner / socket when it comes to undoing them so they are unlikely to slip off & round the nuts or bolt head.

Graham.

McDude

Should be an easy job as others have pointed out...

...but as they have also pointed out the lower bolts have a habit of seizing in place. I worked like a b4stard to get mine out.

According to Mr Haynes, you should also have the shocks loaded up when you do the final tightening.

dumbiron

...and plenty of grease on re-assembly, makes the job easier next time. :lol:

Guest martymcfly

Done, really not to bad and were the original shocks on there.

Breaker bar and some plus gas and jobs a good un