• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
zebedy101

Rust Help Pease

zebedy101

Evening all,

I am now in the process of tidying up the loose ends on my 205 and going over any bits that need doing. Tonight I was fittig a new washer bottle and noticed that there was a small hole near it were the rust worm has eaten it. My main question really is what is the best course of action to take against rust and how can I cure it best?

Also I have a patch of rust in the common place as pictured, it is slightly worse than I had first thought and just want some ideas on how to best sort this?

Can I just simply sand all the rust back then filler over the top and get it painted, or is it going to need slightly more in depth work done?

325a895d.jpg

Many thanks.

Pugnut

the bootom of the B-pillar has been repaired before. Looks like the rust has been ground out, but it has left the corner thin and weak, it has then cracked.

It needs welding, but it looks thin and would be easier trying to weld two kit-kat wrappers together. there are two options:

1: grind away the crap and take the chance with the welder chasing holes and building back up the metal

2: cut out affected metal and manafacture a small piece to replace.

without grinding away the crap and not seeing it in the flesh it's hard to say, but looks like a method 2

i use dinotrol convertarust stuff for treating rust if it cant be ground out. seems good stuff and gives an epoxy like coating at the same time. it seems ok. i've left treated stuff out in the element all winter and theres no sign of rust.

Al

zebedy101

Thanks for the reply pugnut, I think it's going to need cutting then something making up and welding in like you said. It does look like it's been repaired before, I'm pretty sure the whole car has had a respray at some point so it must have been done around that time.

zebedy101

Right then after lots of hard work and effort I have done it, I grinded a section out and welded a new one in. After that I smoothed it out a bit then sprayed it I think it's pretty good considering it's the first time I have done anything like this.

Obviously it's not a perfect colour match but nothing that can't be blended in and sorted by the chap at work.

201ce475.jpg

Jrod

If you had of taken the rubber off and not painted it then it would of looked alot better... :)

zebedy101

Hehe.. Yeah it would look better. I did pull it back but obviously not quite enough. The rubber is FUBAR anyway though its perished and ripped in a couple of places so needs replacing.

lemmingzappa

Is that the first time you've ever welded ?

Obey_R

Think I've just found someone to do all my rust for me :)

matt.f

Nice,take the little vent out and try and get some waxoil(cavity type)on the penetration of the weld,else it will eventually rust from the inside

Edited by matt.f

harryskid
Nice,take the little vent out and try and get some waxoil(cavity type)on the penetration of the weld,else it will eventually rust from the inside

I had to do a repair like this on my rally car and i never gave that a though, thanks for the tip. :lol:

zebedy101

Thanks for the waxoil tip I will have a look for some. This isn't the first time I have welded, it's the first time I have done any car bodywork though. I did put a thin layer of filler over the top just to smooth out the lines and blend it in. I found a donor 205 and cut the B pillar off it. My next job is too patch up a hole in the boot, then only a couple more bits and my car is rust free. Happy days, before I did my B pillar I was reaaly getting annoyed with my car, now that's done I'm getting a whole new vision in line for what's next to come.

Simple things make a massive difference though.

matt.f

No probs,if you want any more tips send me a pm , I've been a panel beater for over 10 years,so may be able to help out .

zebedy101

Thanks Matt :D