• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hothatch

Good Setup For Fast Road?

hothatch

In around two weeks time when I come from holiday I will dropping my subframe for painting and building.

These are the parts I'm going to be using (all new)

So far I have ordered

Apex 30mm lowering springs I entend using with standard dampers as they are in good condition, I have considerd bilstein uprated road units but unsure if I really need them.

Bbm uprated lower fork bush

Bbm group n strut top mounts

And powerflex anti_roll bar bushes which I know are very good.

These are gona be used in conjunction with new bottom arms , drop links etc.....

Also upper lower strut braces and bbm ebgine mount kit up on completing my conversion.

Do the job? Or does anyone recommend any thing else?

Answers and suggestions are much appreicated.

Thanks

Ben

DrSarty

Powerflex bushes receive mixed reviews.

Try a search for it and you'll see what I mean. In fact IIRC I think the company folded recently.

marksorrento205

Personnally I found the group A lower fork bush too much for road use. Dont get me wrong its a top bit of kit that stops a lot of engine movement but I fitted a 106 o.e gen pug one instead.

Batfink
Powerflex bushes receive mixed reviews.

Try a search for it and you'll see what I mean. In fact IIRC I think the company folded recently.

They caught fire, but they are back up and running.

shalmaneser
In around two weeks time when I come from holiday I will dropping my subframe for painting and building.

These are the parts I'm going to be using (all new)

So far I have ordered

Apex 30mm lowering springs I entend using with standard dampers as they are in good condition, I have considerd bilstein uprated road units but unsure if I really need them.

Bbm uprated lower fork bush

Bbm group n strut top mounts

And powerflex anti_roll bar bushes which I know are very good.

These are gona be used in conjunction with new bottom arms , drop links etc.....

Also upper lower strut braces and bbm ebgine mount kit up on completing my conversion.

Do the job? Or does anyone recommend any thing else?

Answers and suggestions are much appreicated.

Thanks

Ben

I'm currently running a 1.6, but it will become a gti-6 fairly soon. I'm after a similar compromise to you I think and I'm very happy with my setup.

Front:

Eibach 25mm drop springs

Gaz adjustable struts (not coilovers)

309 lower arm with powerflex bushes

1.9 hubs and D/S

new OE top mount rubbers and bearings

strut brace

Rear:

full rebuilt 309 rear beam dropped to match the front

Gaz adjustable dampers

Group N bushes

Engine:

BBM mounts, new diesel lower engine mount.

There is a bit of vibration transmitted though to the cabin from the mounts, but the 16V is a smoother engine than the 8V anyway, so that shouldn't be a bother. I'd look seriously into getting coilovers or adjustable struts for the front, I expect that you'll find running lowering springs with the standard dampers means you're under damped. There are some good second hand deals about.

If you're stiffening up the front you should also do the rear otherwise you'll get understeer, 309 beams are expensive but effective, or you can get new torsion bars to a similar spec. It's well worth rebuilding the rear axle as most are screwed nowadays. the solid rear mounts are a good upgrade and i've not really noticed any more NVH after having them fitted.

I'm happy with the powerflex bushes but I know many don't rate them, I only used them as they came fitted to the wishbones.

I've ended up with a nice car, a fair bit tighter than standard but still not too crashy.

Now to find an engine...

Miles

Your better off with new standard ARB bush's as for one they fit compared to the P/Flex one which don;t, The std ones are made from a better and harder material as well, much like there wishbone bush's are allot softer than std and last 5 minutes too, not that the AEB moves as the drop links take all this movement out

You cannot use the lower brace from memory with the GTi6 sump unless you start cutting bit's off.

hothatch

You are right I about the standard dampers people,my old setup was simarlar minus a few bits but had bilstein shocks, the ride was pretty good as well as nice an tight and responsive. But havin never used faster rate springs with standard dampers I'm unsure of what to do as ithe standard ones are just as stiff , but the secret is all in the damping so I will now invest in them also.

I will be using the 309 rear axle withh uprated dampers but I'm going to fit that after all the front is done ie. Engine and subframe fitted and running.

As for the powerflex anti-roll bar bushes I think that they are really good in my opinion, I fitted them to my last 205 and I noticed the difference immedietly after , but everyone has there opinion.

I thought that I was doing the right thing with bbm fork bush as the gti6 lump is very heavy as you all know, I've actually orderd it so its going to be fitted, I know what your saying about a bit over the top as its more for track and rally use but I am only going to using It on the weekends for pleausre use so I thing I will get along with it just fine.

Good thinking baz lol ! I forgot this ones not going to be an 8v ! I had one on my old one but I'm gona have to ditch that idea now lol !

So as it stands the setup should work quite nicely with the addition over the uprated dampers, I'm not going to go for adjustibles I don't think, just uprated road ones, unless I come across a nice deal :)

Thanks boys.

hothatch

Oh yeah and the reason I didn't done the search is because I wanted peoples opinions on my setup.

Quite selfish of me lol.

No oj much appreciated.

roote

me personaly if you stiffen everything up so tight, all you end up with is stress fracturers in places you dont normaly find problems, ie across the top of your bulk head.

So rather than the strut braces new 309 bottom arms and drive shaft's with oe eng mount's, so totaly agree with miles, ive studied a little on rubber mixtures and it's like your grannys recipes, and peugeot will have the best mix for a long life rather than stiff for 5 minutes.

Also if you have money to spend the best dampers you can get is the way forword.

Rippthrough

The whole point of a strut brace is to spread loads over a larger area to reduce the localised stress...

hothatch
me personaly if you stiffen everything up so tight, all you end up with is stress fracturers in places you dont normaly find problems, ie across the top of your bulk head.

So rather than the strut braces new 309 bottom arms and drive shaft's with oe eng mount's, so totaly agree with miles, ive studied a little on rubber mixtures and it's like your grannys recipes, and peugeot will have the best mix for a long life rather than stiff for 5 minutes.

Also if you have money to spend the best dampers you can get is the way forword.

Stress fractures? Now that I never heard of. My strutbrace will be accomponied by a omp 10 point cage which will make all the suspension work indipendently and also like ripthroiugj said, reduce stress factors by evening it throughout the whole car.

I never had no trouble fitting the powerflex arb s miles, I have heard other people say about bad fitting though

roote

is their any chance your 10 points go to you srut top's ?

Baz
is their any chance your 10 points go to you srut top's ?

Not an OMP one no.

hothatch

i havnt got it yet ! but no omp ones dont.

still an awsome bit of kit though, i drove my old 205 without the cage after fitment before and i didnt wana drive it , it felt sloppy as hell!