• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shalmaneser

Undoing Hub Nuts

shalmaneser

I'm having a spot of bother undoing my hub nuts. I'm tempted to stick the socket and breaker bar on the nut and reverse the car, thus hopefully undoing it. Is this method recommended?!

I'll cut off the 'staked' bit of the nut as well, because this seems to be welded together.

Anyone else with any cunning plans/top tips?

Cheers,

Adam.

tagy

What size bar have you got? I had a similar problem with a hub nut, I got a 1m 3/4" breaker bar and it came off easily.

large

How are you trying to do it? I can normaly undo them with a 600mm power bar. have you got the wheel on the can and the car on the ground?

Daviewonder

What have you tried so far? is it just tight or is the wheel turning as you try to undo the nut?

omega

drive it down the garage /tyre place get the bloke with the windy gun to slack it of ,tighten it up yourself go home job done

blessed6383

(get a big breaker bar) or try to shock it 1st using a thick extention bar or similar and give the nut a few hard wacks this normally works, i work in a garage and get this prob every now and again. iwould not recommend doing it the way your thinking as could end up damaging the bodywork just shock the sh*t out of it and it will come off

hcmini1989

failing all that get a scaffoling bar on your crack bar and go for it

Cameron

Engine on, brakes on, handbrake on, then get a length of metal tube over the breaker bar and give it some grief. A bit of Plusgas or WD-40 will help things too.

I'm sure you know, but reversing will only undo the passenger side.

Masekwm

Take the centre out of the wheel, put wheel back on car, put car on ground.

Put socket through wheel, put a bar on the breaker bar, stand on bar.

Jack up car, remove wheel, remove nut.

shalmaneser
Engine on, brakes on, handbrake on, then get a length of metal tube over the breaker bar and give it some grief. A bit of Plusgas or WD-40 will help things too.

I'm sure you know, but reversing will only undo the passenger side.

Yeah the other side is loose!

I've only got a 16" bar, maybe i need a bigger one....

dino20vt

If it's a 1.6 with the 14 inch peperpots am I right in thinking there isn't a centre cap to remove making it impossible to undo the hub nut with the wheel on?

welshpug

in tht case, 4 bolts back in the disc, securing screws slackened off and lock the disc to the caliper with your biggest chisel or screwdriver.

pugpete1108

most of the ones i have done have come undone with a bar and a long peice of scaffold (or old exhaust pipe) bar the xsara one i just did. i couldn't get it to budge, i took it to my local garage and got the air gun on it and it came undone fine.

EdCherry

Impact gun every time.

hothatch

3/4 inch power bar and extension pipe, strong small punch in the vent on the disc has never failed me.

But that's me I suppose . Just hold a constant pressure on it and she will go.

Nickmatthewsrallying

The other one is to use the handle of a jack (if you have got a decent jack with a big handle on it) :(

petert

Some really rough ideas there guys! You don't necessarily need an impact gun. Weld a socket to a 1m length of tube. I used 50 x 20 RHS. I also have 30mm and 32mm sockets welded on the other side for the smaller axles. A fantastic tool!

I also made up another length of the same, which bolts to the hub by two wheel bolts to stop the axle rotating, by hitting against the ground in the opposite direction, when it's on the stands.

Edited by petert

DamirGTI

b2cku27d.gif

Damir :(

C_W

3/4" drive stuff with some kind of extension bar makes it all very easy, no need to make home brew tools that you will rarely use. 1/2" drive stuff can snap quite easily if the nut is very tight.

Miles

I use a torque multliplier if the air gun doesn;t move it, Expensive at over £500.00 but I;ve even had to use it on some wheel bolts once....

kyepan

also remember to lift rather than stand on it.

you can only apply much more force standing up than your weight can pressing down.. also it's more controlable.

i use a chunky breaker bar, with a 4 foot scaffold pole over it, so about 4 ft.. then gently stand up using my legs, as before, hand brake on, in gear, chocked wheels.

i weigh 9 stone, so leverage and cheating is basically how i get most stuff undone.

Cameron

Had to undo one of mine today.. a squirt of GT-85 then a few sharp taps with a hammer and pin-punch to shock it loose and it came undone easily with a 24" breaker. Isn't always that easy though! :(

shalmaneser

I'm fairly convinced I'm going to snap the 1/4 inch drive on my breaker bar, but it's halfords professional so it's got a lifetime guarantee so if I do f*** it up I'll just take it back and get a bigger one!

welshpug
I use a torque multliplier if the air gun doesn;t move it, Expensive at over £500.00 but I;ve even had to use it on some wheel bolts once....

they've come down in price a hell of a lot recently, MAC tools man said he is doing them at £150 now :P

used on wheel bolts B)

crikey!