• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest markyR

Suspension On A Budget

Guest markyR

hi all, i'm wanting to lower my 1.9 gti inc shocks and springs, have seen a set of bilstein shocks and springs on 60mm drop for £200 has anyone got any experience with these?

anything else out there for around the 200 mark that you can recomend?

also am i right in thinking that 60mm on the front and 1 spline on the rear should sit right?

cheers mark.

johno_78

After restoring my wifes car to standard suspension and enjoying it today, my advice is to replace everything worn with original parts, as Peugeot built it right to begin with.

Wrighty_1988
hi all, i'm wanting to lower my 1.9 gti inc shocks and springs, have seen a set of bilstein shocks and springs on 60mm drop for £200 has anyone got any experience with these?

anything else out there for around the 200 mark that you can recomend?

also am i right in thinking that 60mm on the front and 1 spline on the rear should sit right?

cheers mark.

I was going to post my own question on this topic but ill post in here, sorry, lol.

Has anyone ever bought and used some of these ROKKOR coilovers?, its 129 delivered for a set on ebay and the dub people are raving them up for the price.

There is a thread about them on http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4646113 Thinking about getting a set for my project car to keep the costs down and they seem to be tried and tested as good.

j_turnell

60mm will handle like a bag of s*it quite frankly. If your looking for a cheap upgrade then personally, i'd buy some low mileage 2nd hand gti-6/ xsara vts dampers, fit some eibach springs and group n top mounts with new bearings, should easy come under £200. Droping the rear 35mm will be bout right, the rear arch is actually lower than the front arch so can look lower but actually be the same height front and back.

set of 4 dampers £50

eibachs £70-80?

groupn rubbers £20

bearings £15 pair

Edited by j_turnell

Tom Fenton

Not to be too blunt, but most VW owners are more interested in how low they will go rather than how well they make the car handle. Bear this in mind before you buy!

swordfish210
60mm will handle like a bag of s*it quite frankly. If your looking for a cheap upgrade then personally, i'd buy some low mileage 2nd hand gti-6/ xsara vts dampers, fit some eibach springs and group n top mounts with new bearings, should easy come under £200. Droping the rear 35mm will be bout right, the rear arch is actually lower than the front arch so can look lower but actually be the same height front and back.

set of 4 dampers £50

eibachs £70-80?

groupn rubbers £20

bearings £15 pair

What that man said. 60mm is way too low and don't drop the rear using the spline method, remove the torsion bars one at a time and lower the arm to suit.

Edited by swordfish210

TurboSam

I have exactly what you are after; Eibach 7001 springs, GTi-6 dampers, Group N top mount rubbers, all built up and ready to bolt on - £90

Its what I have been running for the past 18 months and it has been fantastic!

Wes

i have just fitted gti6 bilsteins with eibach springs, bbm fast road rubbers, new bearings and a 309 front arb and i am amazed at how well it handles. but like said above replace anything thats worn. i replaced the wishbones and droplinks aswell.

Guest markyR

ok cheers guys, only wanted to lower it 60 on the front as most i have seen sit too low on the back and it looks a bit umm.

how much to those eibach springs lower it by mate? also how old are the shocks.

why is it best not to use the spline method?

cheers mark

Rupertfinch

I feel like chipping in here. As a former DUB owner, most of the coil-overs offered for seemingly good money, are just designed to get the arse on the ground. Yes they've been TUv'd, but they're just not right.

However, I do understand your frustration at the 'sit up and beg' position the 205 can take. I'm running a 25mm drop on the rear beam and -25mm Skip Brown springs with new BBM rubbers and bearings etc and she seems to sit too high at the front. I'm sorely tempted to raise the rear to establish a more level appearance. Would anyone with a standard set up like to offer the dimensions of the centre of the arch trim to the road, on a level surface, for both the front and the rear?

That way I can verify that my 25mm dropped rear beam, is infact 25CM dropped!

Sorry for hijack. To answer your question Eibach give a vague 25mm claim for 7001 001 springs which are also exactly the same as 7001 120 springs. Damn their German confusion...

JamieTonks

im looking to get mine set up for fast rd / track. would you recomend this to be a good set up against say a set of gaz coilovers etc?

j_turnell
im looking to get mine set up for fast rd / track. would you recomend this to be a good set up against say a set of gaz coilovers etc?

Not really no, wont be well damped enough imo, better off with some bilstein sprintlines or alike, but what arb and tosion bars your running will obviosuly have a big effect on the overall setup.

maturin23

??

As far as I can recall from reading your posts (we've never met) you've already built and then sold a near 300bhp 205 yet you're asking that question in this thread? Did you not research this topic in full prior to building your last 205?

Not mean as trolling, just rather shocked.

Cameron
Has anyone ever bought and used some of these ROKKOR coilovers?, its 129 delivered for a set on ebay and the dub people are raving them up for the price.

NO NO NO NO and NO. 2 words for you: False Economy.

Those cheap coilovers are absolutely piss poor! My housemate bought some for his Golf and he's now on his 3rd set.

The damping is just awful, and they're cheap because they're such poor quality. They just fall apart! Anyone who thinks they're getting value for money from something like that needs to get their head checked.

Edited by Cameron

shalmaneser

Re the drop on Eibachs: I'm running them at the moment and I reckon the drop is much more like 40mm than the advertised 25mm. I'm going to have to drop the rear a touch more to suit it I reckon.

The springs themselves are spot on I reckon. Tighten up the ride while still remaining comfortable. They're a good compromise as far as I'm concerned. I'm running them on Gaz adjustable rebound struts which suit them very well.

JamieTonks
??

As far as I can recall from reading your posts (we've never met) you've already built and then sold a near 300bhp 205 yet you're asking that question in this thread? Did you not research this topic in full prior to building your last 205?

Not mean as trolling, just rather shocked.

It was a long time ago and things may of moved on? better sets ups avaliable etc?

Baz
Re the drop on Eibachs: I'm running them at the moment and I reckon the drop is much more like 40mm than the advertised 25mm. I'm going to have to drop the rear a touch more to suit it I reckon.

There seems to be a 2 different types, as if older ones drop quite a bit, 40mm or so, and the later ones not so much, either that or they've all sagged after time!!

The 3sets i have are different anyway!

richardjw

Hi guys,

After reading a lot of threads on a lot of forums, i'm also going down the 306 bilsteins and eibach route.

Wheres the bast place to source the shocks, i'm also after the correct part number as many of the online retailers only take part number orders, not vehicle make etc.

Its the GTi-6 items I need to sorce right?

Cheers chaps, hopefully you guys can save me some serious phone time!!

;)

shalmaneser
There seems to be a 2 different types, as if older ones drop quite a bit, 40mm or so, and the later ones not so much, either that or they've all sagged after time!!

The 3sets i have are different anyway!

Hmmm mine were bought from new....Still, I can't complain, the ride is really good on the Gaz adjustables.

stubby205
Hi guys,

After reading a lot of threads on a lot of forums, i'm also going down the 306 bilsteins and eibach route.

Wheres the bast place to source the shocks, i'm also after the correct part number as many of the online retailers only take part number orders, not vehicle make etc.

Its the GTi-6 items I need to sorce right?

Cheers chaps, hopefully you guys can save me some serious phone time!!

:)

i also have the £200 bilstien suspension and as above would like to no where is best to source the parts people have used to build decent suspension.

pug_ham

Words that really don't mix when it comes to suspension for a 205 GTI, budget / cheap & good.

It really is a matter of you get what you pay for.

If you can stretch your budget a bit further (well double+) then get some Bilstein yellow B6 front shocks, by far the best you'll get for the money & for standard diameter springs.

i also have the £200 bilstien suspension and as above would like to no where is best to source the parts people have used to build decent suspension.

If the £200 Bilsteins are all black shocks, chuck the rear dampers away & buy some genuine ones from Peugeot, they are better.

The black Bilsteins rear dampers are bordering dangerous on the back of a 205 GTI.

Uprated top mount rubber donuts can be found from one of our forum members Stew205 through BakerBM & he gives a 10% discount (iirc) to forum members.

New top mount bearings can be bought from a decent motor factors but to save getting two new soft rubber donuts just ask for the top mount bearings for a Citroen ZX or 306. Approx £20 for a pair.

Google for Eibach springs but there are some on ebay iirc, just make sure you get the correct number.

Graham.

stubby205
Words that really don't mix when it comes to suspension for a 205 GTI, budget / cheap & good.

It really is a matter of you get what you pay for.

If you can stretch your budget a bit further (well double+) then get some Bilstein yellow B6 front shocks, by far the best you'll get for the money & for standard diameter springs.

If the £200 Bilsteins are all black shocks, chuck the rear dampers away & buy some genuine ones from Peugeot, they are better.

The black Bilsteins rear dampers are bordering dangerous on the back of a 205 GTI.

Uprated top mount rubber donuts can be found from one of our forum members Stew205 through BakerBM & he gives a 10% discount (iirc) to forum members.

New top mount bearings can be bought from a decent motor factors but to save getting two new soft rubber donuts just ask for the top mount bearings for a Citroen ZX or 306. Approx £20 for a pair.

Google for Eibach springs but there are some on ebay iirc, just make sure you get the correct number.

Graham.

thanks for that :)