• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GG205rob

Cant Get My Beam Level

GG205rob

I have been struggeling to get my rear beam level since lowering it, everytime i changed it the offside was around 20mm higher than the nearside. I made up a dummy shock at 315mm, as this seems to be a good starting point from reading other posts, set both sides the same, lowered it to the ground and there was 20mm difference. I then played around without fitting the arb as this would not line up on both sides but this made no difference. Eventualluy i left the nearside set at 315mm as i liked this height, jacked up the offside hub until the arb mount plate lined up with the swing arm on the nearside, then measured the offside shock hole centres which were 299mm. Took everything apart again and refitted both sides, neraside at 315mm and offside at 299mm, with the arb fitted. Lowered it down and it is level (3.5mm out but thats close enough for me). Looking at other threads i thought this should make about 45mm different side to side though, so have i missed something obvious, am i being stupid or have i got a serious problem?

It is a 309 gti beam with standard dampers.

Cheers for any help

oz.

Are both torsion bars the same size?

Try it without the ARB.

Also, is the floor youre measuring from flat? It might look flat...

jord294

it's a common mistake by people to get ride height wrong.

it's down to your arb end plates

you've got the end plate on one side of the arb out of line <_<

GG205rob
it's a common mistake by people to get ride height wrong.

it's down to your arb end plates

you've got the end plate on one side of the arb out of line <_<

I have tried moving the end plate and the correct position is directly between 2 splines, is there any other way i can adjust this other than moving it on the spliners? Also it has the same results without the arb fitted?

GG205rob
Are both torsion bars the same size?

Try it without the ARB.

Also, is the floor youre measuring from flat? It might look flat...

Torsion bars are both the same size.

Same result without the ARB.

Floor is level.

Miles

Are the torsion bar's from the same beam, I know that using different ones can give issues like this as they sag differently over the years

GG205rob

As far as i know but i never saw the beam fitted to the car it came from so this could be the problem. Will have to try and get a pair, or just leave it as i have now eventually got it level

Jean_quemener

is there any development on this, i have just rebuilt my 309 gti rear beam and i think i have the same problem with mine drivers side sits at a perfect ride hight where as the passanger side is about 20 mm lower.

jord294, is it just a case of fiddeling with the ARB end plates to get it level?

thanks jean

mhyphenl
is there any development on this, i have just rebuilt my 309 gti rear beam and i think i have the same problem with mine drivers side sits at a perfect ride hight where as the passanger side is about 20 mm lower.

jord294, is it just a case of fiddeling with the ARB end plates to get it level?

thanks jean

I had this problem on mine when I got it. The ARB endplates are tough to get right because there are different numbers of splines on each end. I got my end plates level on the ARB off the car on a flat surface. Just put them on as level as possible, then, to get it exactly right, rotate the end plates forward one spline each end one at a time until they're perfectly level. Then take only one end off, put the arb back in the beam and put the other end back on.

If your a half spline out and have to push the end plates into position your effectively pushing one side up and the other down all the time. Not only will it not sit quite level but it'll corner differently in one direction compared to the other.

welshpug

ARB plates are a doddle to get right.

remove both, and on the left hand end you'll see a notch in the end of the ARB, align this with the 8mm hole along the plate, fit end plate, fit into beam, then other side will line up straight away.

as documented in every Haynes workshop manual for 205/309/zx.....

mhyphenl

remove both, and on the left hand end you'll see a notch in the end of the ARB, align this with the 8mm hole along the plate, fit end plate, fit into beam, then other side will line up straight away.

Good tip! I missed that one in the book. Mind you I get frustrated with the seemingly simple removal instructions being thwarted by rust and age that once I've got things apart the books been thrown accross the garage. That'll learn me ;) Still don't understand why they bother with different numbers of splines on the ARB. Its not like the torsion bars where you need the minute adjustment.??

Jean_quemener

thanks alot guys i will get craching with this tonight, i knew it would be sumthing simple i just missed.

Should realy get a Haynes manualhttp

Edited by Jean_quemener

Jean_quemener

got the beam level now so happy with that only to find i think it sits a little to low so now im gonna have to adjust the ride hight, its just one problem after another haha.

GG205rob

I don't think this was the same problem with mine because mine wasn't sitting level even without the ARB connected atall?

Capn. Pugwash

Pity my aftermarket one didn't have a notch! I have just finished putting mine back together and had to jack up one trailing arm by about 4mm to get the bolt to line up so I might be out by a spline... Gotta finish wiring up my new fuel pump tonight so I can drive the bugger and see how it feels!

pug_ham
Pity my aftermarket one didn't have a notch! I have just finished putting mine back together and had to jack up one trailing arm by about 4mm to get the bolt to line up so I might be out by a spline...

You shouldn't fit the arb in this way, reove the end plates as mentioned above & set them as close to level before you fit the beam.

Jacking the radius ar to make it fit can give interesting handling issues due to the ammount of preload you've induced.

Graham.