• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davemar

Can't Get My Wheel Off!

davemar

Just starting a job that needs my front wheel removing, and I can't budge it! It's not like it's never been removed, I probably last removed it only a few months ago. Yes, I've removed the bolts! I'm under the car kicking the wheel, but nothing. The wheels have been recently refurbished, so I wonder whether the extra coat of new paint and lacquer has stuck it to the disc?

Any tips welcome!

swordfish210

Yeah is's probably just stuck to the hub due to the reduction in internal diameter of the wheel centre.

Kick harder.

Baz

Yup! My wheels after refurb did this, complete PITA! Get some sandpaper in the centre bore and mating faces when you get it off, and apply some copper grease.

They don't need paint there!

omega

slaken off bolts slowley drive the car forward give it full lock and should come free

Baz

Or not, as it'll still be stuck on the centre spigot.

Tom Fenton

It may be stuck on the centre spigot, but the above method in my experience will work due to the side loading on the wheel due to cornering allied with the weight of the car moving.

muddatrucker

Tie a bicycle to it and cycle north, always worked with teeth that didn't budge!

pugpete1108

i normally get a peice of 2x4 to protect the wheel and give it a good whach with a hammer, this should loosen it off.

had to use a sledge hammer on the mi i just broke

blessed6383
i normally get a peice of 2x4 to protect the wheel and give it a good whach with a hammer, this should loosen it off.

had to use a sledge hammer on the mi i just broke

yer this way always works for me aswell just make sure you leave a couple of bolts in a few threads to stop the outter rin hitting the floor when it does ome off lol

MrG

and make sure the car can't move as I have heard the horror stories of cars falling off the jack once being given the heavy treatment, causing more damage (thankfully to the car and not the guy doing the bashing) than the car was worth!

davemar

In the end I applied a bit of heat to the centre spigot which may have softened the paint a bit. I could then give it a good kick to finally get it off.