• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shalmaneser

'thrumming' Sound When Turning Left

shalmaneser

I've recently fitted 1.9 hubs and drive shafts to my car.

Now, for some reason when i turn left I can hear a 'thrumming' sound from the front NS wheel - It sounds as if the tyre is making contact very lightly with something, although you can also feel the vibration through the steering. It's most obvious at higher speeds (40mph+) and the frequency of the thrumming increases with speed.

Clearly the most obvious suspects are the new hubs and driveshafts, although I'll whip the wheel off and confirm that the flexy itsn't making contact with the tyre at any point, even though I've had a good look and I'm convinced it's not.

When I fitted the hubs I also put in some new track rod ends. I tracked the car myself and it's about right, if slightly off centre. I don't think this has much to do with it however I'll get the tracking done properly ASAP.

So, given that I think the hub bearings wouldn't make such a noise if they were worn (it's not a constant rumble, and only happens when turning left) how can I confirm that it's the driveshaft making the noise?

Unless anyone else has any good suggestions - I'm all ears!

tagy

Sounds like the wheel bearing to me.

shalmaneser

I was under the impression that a dodgy bearing made a funny noise all the time, not just when turning, or is that not the case?

Whats the best way to check - give the wheel a wobble I guess?

Anthony
I was under the impression that a dodgy bearing made a funny noise all the time, not just when turning, or is that not the case?

They'll often be noticeably worse when turning in one direction. My first thought reading your post was wheel bearing as well, which would make sense having just swapped the hubs (and thus bearings)

shalmaneser
They'll often be noticeably worse when turning in one direction. My first thought reading your post was wheel bearing as well, which would make sense having just swapped the hubs (and thus bearings)

Hmmm, lets hope its that then, cheaper than new driveshafts!

Best place to buy wheel bearings? I guess ECP do SKF bearings?

shalmaneser

Anybody got any top tips for technique when it comes to doing this? The post above suggest 260Nm tightening torque, that's obscene!

Got the bearings from ECP, SNR parts so look to be good quality, part number R159.14 (for the 1.9 hub) if anyone is wondering.

Andrwn8304

Check the O/S bearing m8 as when you turn left all the weight shifts to that wheel and vice versa which would give the noise.

Only way to check if the C.V is faulty is check for play then if none is present unclip the C.V boot check for wear inside union.

Edited by Andrwn8304

hothatch
Anybody got any top tips for technique when it comes to doing this? The post above suggest 260Nm tightening torque, that's obscene!

Got the bearings from ECP, SNR parts so look to be good quality, part number R159.14 (for the 1.9 hub) if anyone is wondering.

Ide say wheel bearing, but if your trackings that far out it can give you the impression a wheel bearings worn but really its just the stress its unmdertaking cause of the tracking.

Ide jack the veichle up andcheck for rock and side to side on both fronts. Rock is your main culprit, if you have none go get it TRACKED! Bad tracking effects everything.