• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tom Fenton

Brake Bleeding Kit

Tom Fenton

So my trusty Draper one man valve brake bleeding kit has expired, it has served me excellently over the last 6 years or so.

This is the one I had-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAPER-BRAKE-BLEED-F...=item5d26b3248c

Now simple it may have been, but in fairness to it, it has done the job faultlessly for as long as I've had it. The pipe is a soft silicone rubber that is stretchy enough to push onto all sizes of bleed nipple and fit securely.

So needing another one, I went to the factors who only had one type, so I bought it. Like this one, except it came with a plastic bottle.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vizibleed-Brake-clut...=item5191a6a07f

Well there is no nice way to put it, it is absolutely wank. Rock solid PVC tube, with a poxy rubber end that doesn't stay on the nipple no matter what you do. How they can sell these I just don't know, as the really do not do the job. Anyway that has now gone in the bin, waste of £3.99.

So now I'm on the lookout for something better. I hate the mess of bleeding brakes so I'm not adverse to spending a few quid on something decent. Now before someone says it, I do have an Easy-bleed, but to be honest find it a bloody faff trying to get the master cylinder to seal, then try to stop it blowing bloody brake fluid everywhere, and then fannying about with a spare tyre to provide the air pressure.

So this brings me to a few options I've found on t'bay.

Fancy air operated one-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAPER-EXPERT-71205-...=item20ac28c3a6

MityVac hand pump-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mityvac-Automotive-T...=item25596635f0

Another air operated one-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Professional-Pneumat...=item4ce79828b9

Or do I just spend another £6 on the Draper old faithful?

So really, any opinions, anyone actually used any of the above? Or other recommendations please!

Thanks

jord294

old faithful FTW :D

i have a similar bleed kit to your old draper

i cannay fault it :D

j_turnell

I use the Gunson eezibleed kit sold by halfords and has done the job fine! :D

Link here!

Guest Colin45

I used the gunson on my BMW and Audi but it wouldn't stay on my 205, it kept blowing off the reservoir.

billybluesky

I got a cheap but really effective one from a small local accessory shop, it`s just a piece of orange pliable rubber with one end plugged and a small split in it which just opens under pressure then closes on the up stroke of the pedal it cost about £1.00

shalmaneser

My Visibleed works just fine?!

boombang
I used the gunson on my BMW and Audi but it wouldn't stay on my 205, it kept blowing off the reservoir.

Too high pressure in the tyre you were using?

I have only had an issue once, turned out the tyre had over 30 psi in. Otherwise Gunson kit has been perfectly reliable and fit well on every car used it on.

Worth knowing that Halfords trade card gets you a fiver off too.

welshpug

piece of clear tube into a lucozade bottle with a hole in the top :D

That's all my mate uses in his garage, I have used the draper dooberry to bleed several cars on my own though without issues.

One thing for the eezibleed, get a straight screw on cap off a 306 or 406 etc from a scrappy (they have separate lever sensors) and drill a hole in the top for the hose fitting, they fit much better than the supplied caps.

jackherer

I have used an eezibleed for years but forget the bottle etc, just connect the two hoses so you have one pipe from the tyre valve to the brake res cap. As long as you keep the fluid topped up you don't need a massive extra bottle of fluid, it just makes it more complicated, wasteful and messy IMO. I've seen garages do basically the same thing, they just use the airline from their compressor to pressurise the brake res via an assortment of scrapyard sourced caps as welshpug said.

lewthepimp

I think halfords are still doing 15% off on eezibleeders by the way

omega

stick with what you know