• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DanteICE

Rear Beam Rebuild But With Abs Arms

DanteICE

I'm looking to rebuild a 309 GTI rear beam but using ZX arms. I have found someone with a ZX 16v which he is breaking but the rear beam has ABS fitted, which I don't actually need right now.

The question is (or actually 2 questions):

1. Does the fact that the arms have ABS modules fitted matter (fitted to a non-ABS car)?

2. Will I get 1 degree of negative camber and 0 degree of Toe from these exact ZX 16v ABS-Arms?

Geoff

(All help is much appreciated)

pug_ham
1. Does the fact that the arms have ABS modules fitted matter (fitted to a non-ABS car)?

IMO it shouldn't matter at all, the main difference is that the rear wheel bearing will have the teeth on the outer edge which is normally plain on none ABS cars.

2. Will I get 1 degree of negative camber and 0 degree of Toe from these exact ZX 16v ABS-Arms?

You should do, pretty much all ZX's have the same rear geometery radius arms giving the 0' toe in & 1' negative camber afaik.

Graham.

DanteICE

Thanks a lot that has sorted it all for me, very quickly too.

Geoff

Anthony

Only thing to check is which rear disks it uses, as bizarrely I've seen some ZX's that use 205/309 disks and some that use 306/Xsara disks (same diameter, but about 5mm different offset) :lol:

welshpug

that's because of the ABS Anthony :lol: though I can;t see why they would be as there is only one part listed under rear discs for the zx, maybe really early non abs cars with discs had 205 length stubs and hubs.

Edited by welshpug

Anthony
that's because of the ABS Anthony :lol: though I can;t see why they would be as there is only one part listed under rear discs for the zx, maybe really early non abs cars with discs had 205 length stubs and hubs.

Nope, not that simple - the ZX arms on my previous beam for example were ABS, but still used 205/309 disks. That's why I'm bemused.

welshpug

can only think someone fitted the wrong discs previously, as the caliper will move over enough afaik.

jord294

i've fitted the zx non abs arms to my 309 gti resto project

you can definately see the toe in and camber. still have to get the tracking done

not sure whether i'll keep that set up.

hoping to get the m.o.t done in the next couple of weeks :D

Para

I will add my question.

I have a 205 GTI with ABS , and rear beam from 309 GTI (non abs) which I am currently rebuilding. Which parts will be different between those 2 beams ?

Will ABS still work ?

Anthony
I have a 205 GTI with ABS , and rear beam from 309 GTI (non abs) which I am currently rebuilding. Which parts will be different between those 2 beams ?

Will ABS still work ?

205 ABS is a 2-channel system that only works on the front wheels - the rear wheels have no anti-lock on them.

The only difference between a 205 ABS and 205 non-ABS beam is the brake compensators, which are load-sensing items on the ABS models along the same lines as what is fitted to later Peugeot's like 106's and 306's, rather than the simple inline pressure limiting valves of the non-ABS models.

As such, you can use a non-ABS beam just fine - all you need to do is swap over the brake compensators.