• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
billybluesky

Front Brakes

billybluesky

Hi maybe someone could give some suggestions. After fitting 1.9 calipers to my 1.6 the pedal would go the floor, so after 23mm master cylinder, goodrich braided hoses all round, and new fluid result normal braking, but you still cant lock them up if you stand on them! would mintex ds or ferrodo 1144`s really make that much difference for fast road use?

Anthony

Something sounds amiss to me, as it should lock up easily enough even on standard pads - you did check that the sliders move freely on the calipers?

Tom Fenton

Some of the cheaper pads are just crap though to put it bluntly! Try some decent brand (Mintex, Ferodo) standard pads and see if that helps matters? I had some APEC pads in my 205 for a month before removing them as they were awful.

billybluesky

Stripped, freed,cleaned and painted the callipers before fitting, the pads that are in are pretty standard partco/unipart type.

matt.f

If fitting 1.9 calipers to a 1.6 do you need to change the master cylinder or anything else?or can you just swap caliper for caliper?

Fox

I swapped just the calipers and all was fine, I hardly even noticed any difference.

I'd imagine you've still got air in there somewhere

pug_ham

Someting isn't right but why have you fitted a 23mm mc with standard brakes? Un-necessary overkill imo.

If fitting 1.9 calipers to a 1.6 do you need to change the master cylinder or anything else?or can you just swap caliper for caliper?

Straight swap over, caliper to caliper but you might need to untangle the flexi when the hose is tightened into the caliper.

Graham.

billybluesky

Someting isn't right but why have you fitted a 23mm mc with standard brakes? Un-necessary overkill imo.

Graham.

Sorry i did`nt put that first i fitted the calipers (my daughter bought for me from the for sale section), which was advertised as mi 16 brakes, which made the pedal travel literally to the floor hence the 406 m/c, i didn`t measure the piston i assumed they were just 1.9. Any ideas?

Tom Fenton

Hmm, it could be that they are not 1900 calipers and that is the problem. I have a couple of sets of 1900 calipers, yours for a special price if you want them, PM me.

kyepan

hang on, am i being stupid or would 1.9 calipers have a different and incorrect offset when used on 1.6' hubs and discs.... hence the issues?

Edited by kyepan

pug_ham

Have a look on the caliper body, iirc there ought to be a number stamped on it somewhere above the piston for the size. I've got some somewhere I'll have a look at but I think Mi16 calipers had a 54mm piston not 48mm like both the 1.6 Bendix & 1.9 Girling calipers.

Mi16 brakes (calipers & yokes) don't fit the 205 GTI on any mixture of hubs though afaik.

What size discs were you using wioth them because the Mi16 takles 266mm discs?

hang on, am i being stupid or would 1.9 calipers have a different and incorrect offset when used on 1.6' hubs and discs.... hence the issues?

No, 1.9 calipers & yokes fit onto the 1.6 hubs for use with the 1.6 discs etc (I have them on my car) but you can't mix the discs between 1.6 & 1.9 hubs.

Graham.

matt.f

And you need longer caliper bolts iirc

Tom Fenton

Shorter caliper bolts for the 1900 Girling calipers, longer bolts for the 1600 bendix calipers.

billybluesky
Have a look on the caliper body, iirc there ought to be a number stamped on it somewhere above the piston for the size. I've got some somewhere I'll have a look at but I think Mi16 calipers had a 54mm piston not 48mm like both the 1.6 Bendix & 1.9 Girling calipers.

Mi16 brakes (calipers & yokes) don't fit the 205 GTI on any mixture of hubs though afaik.

What size discs were you using wioth them because the Mi16 takles 266mm discs?

Graham.

I`ll take a look at the weekend weather pemitting, and i`m using them on standard 1.6 discs.

I seem to remember one of them having lucas stamped on it, and thinking it must be a later replacement

Bill

billybluesky
I`ll take a look at the weekend weather pemitting, and i`m using them on standard 1.6 discs.

I seem to remember one of them having lucas stamped on it, and thinking it must be a later replacement

Bill

Hi managed to have a look tonight, and found a 48 stamped on the back of the back of the caliper, but one`s definately lucas.