• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
steble

Brake Question No Access To Haynes Atm Lol

steble

i was just sitting here thinking my brakes could do with bleeding, not got a manual so couple of simple questions

what fluid do i need? i happen to have some halfords dot 4 in the shed is that ok?

and whats the bleed cycle on these?

shalmaneser
i was just sitting here thinking my brakes could do with bleeding, not got a manual so couple of simple questions

what fluid do i need? i happen to have some halfords dot 4 in the shed is that ok?

Dot 4 is fine but you shouldn't really use old stuff as it attracts moisture and the effectiveness drops. You need about 500ml for a whole system bleed in my experience.

Bleed cycle is as per normal really - just start on the cali furthest away from the master cylinder (ie rear NS) then get closer (RR OS, FF NS, FF OS) until you're done. It's a fairly easy system to bleed if you don't have ABS. I've got one of those one way valve things that makes the whole thing a one man job albeit with a lot of hopping in and out of the drivers seat.

blessed6383

belive the bleed order is furthest 1st then in and x pattern so passanger rear, drivers front, drivers rear, passanger front. correct me if im wrong but this is the way i've always done it

j_turnell

I'd firstly check the condition of your bleed nipples as more often than not there either already snapped or look worse for wear! Give them a wire brushing and spray some wd40 and leave to soak. I also use some heat on them just before i crack them off to reduce the risk of them snapping. Dot 4 should be ok, start furthest away from the MC so nrside rear - offside rear- nrside front- offside front. May need to go round 2-3 times to get a good pedal.

steble

cheers guys will go do it now,

just so happens i have about 500ml here :)

steble

ha ha guess what happened :)

i did the first 3 brakes no probel at all and then basically all i had to do was look at the last bleed nipple and it snapped :huh:

oh well its not leaking so i thought i'd leave that one for now ha ha brake pedal is much stiffer

i assume i have to drill it out then? and get a new nipple or is it not that easy

i also got covered in grease from the front n/s guess what! thats right you got it i need a cv boot :lol:

richardjw

WHen i tried to drill and tap my old caliper it was a failure. Had machine shop at work do it to. To old and soft to take a new thread. Got a 'new' one from a company called 'Big Red' a lot cheaper than i thought. If needed i can sort out contact details, i have their catalogue somewher under all the wiring!

steble

yer that would be great mate if you could