• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bassman

Leaks - Usual Stuff

Bassman

I have a pretty serious leak which settles under the rear seat and behind the drivers seat.

I have read a lot of posts and it looks like a number of things, rear quarter seals, sunroof drains, boot seal, etc.

Before I have a go (I am away at the moment so I am reading up on this in my spare time), are the sunroof drains accessible without removing the headlining? If not can you pull part of it away at the pillars without messing around scraping off glue as I have a feeling this will not be easy to do and I will be left with a scrap headlining!

Thanks

Rob

Bassman

Bump!

Simes

Run a hose up against the passenger rear windows and watch it trickle in behind the trim and settle under the seats.

Bassman
Run a hose up against the passenger rear windows and watch it trickle in behind the trim and settle under the seats.

Yes that is what I am expecting, but I was hoping to check and clear all the sunroof drains as well, are they accessible without completely removing the headling?

Thanks

Rob

Pugnut
Yes that is what I am expecting, but I was hoping to check and clear all the sunroof drains as well, are they accessible without completely removing the headling?

Thanks

Rob

from just removing a sunroof headling, i found its not really glued at the sides. the hoses go straight inside the roof structure and down the pillars in all 4 corners anyway, so you wont see much.

you should be able to remove trim round the edges of the roof and peel back the lining enough to see the hoses if you so desire

Bassman
from just removing a sunroof headling, i found its not really glued at the sides. the hoses go straight inside the roof structure and down the pillars in all 4 corners anyway, so you wont see much.

you should be able to remove trim round the edges of the roof and peel back the lining enough to see the hoses if you so desire

Thanks. I have seen photos where it appears the pipes have split near the roof so I wanted to have a gander, but chances are it is just my rear 1/4 windows, but if I am going to sort the leaks, I want to check the drains are all clear as well.

Thanks

Rob

Bassman

It was the rear quarter seal on the off side that was leaking.

Had gone inside the door card as well so needed a bit of a clean up and a rust proof. Hopefully sorted it now.

Thanks

muddatrucker

I have this problem, what with 2nd hand seals being unreliable, is all purpose sealant an option?

richsmells

I sealed mine up with a smear of silicone in the groove. The problem is the rubber shrinks with age so it'll never seal perfectly. Someone on here suggested gently stretching the seals in a bucket of hot water to make them more pliable.

I tried this and together with the silicone sealant my leak stopped. A couple of years later it was back though :)

Edited by richsmells