• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
m_attt

Power Rack To Manual

m_attt

The car i have with a 2.0 turbo came with a disconnected power rack so its a nightmare to manoeuvre, and I've never been a fan of power steering so would prefer to go back to manual steering.

I've spoken t a steering rack place and they told me as mines a 92 model it has a certain fitments, so I will need a earlier manual rack, but will more than likely find the column is not long enough to meet up and would probably require sleeving.

I've read on here about the power steering retrofit, and its a case of changing the lower column, would this be the case in reverse if i fit a manual lower column.

Many thanks

Matt

jackherer

You need the right lower column to match the rack. The PAS ones are shorter than non PAS but they also come in spline or square drive versions so you would do best to get a manual rack and matching lower column.

Its worth pointing out that 205 PAS isn't like typical modern PAS, it adds a little assistance at parking speeds but is virtually unnoticeable once you're moving so you should consider adding a pump. Also the non-PAS rack is a slower ratio than the PAS rack so it will feel less agile if you swap racks.

m_attt

Thanks for the help, was hoping it wasn't going to be too bad.

the rack in mine is not very good so would more than likely need replacing anyway, also the car is only being run for the summer as a track/hill climb/weekend car before I'm cutting the front end off to use it to make a rear engine 205, as the shell is very tatty. :o

madspikes

My cars a 1992, and I retro fitted PAS a few years back. It was just a matter of changing the rack and the lower joint. The PAS joint has a different fitments and is much shorter. I'm going to swapping back to the non PAS rack soon, as the PAS rack (with the PAS disconnected) is buggered. I'll can take some pictures of the bits that are going to go back on.

I was quite happy with the PAS rack in its non assisted state. Yes its hard to park to begin with, just build up some muscles! I'm only 5'4" and cope ok!

Mad.

richardjw

If you ask the track day guys, they would probably do a swap for you. GTi-6 engined Pugs are heavy as hell to park, power steering is a must! Wouldn't hurt to ask! I had to travel 400 miles to pick up a power steering rack!

m_attt

cheers guys, have found a recon rack at a local place and hopefully swapping the lower column with a member on here. So hopefully all good.

@Mad i hear what you saying, I drove with the pas rack disconnected for a year, yes its ok and parking is annoying, but while its apart and the racks exposed it would be rude not too :)

madspikes

indeed, if its easy to get to and you've got the parts... I'd prob do the same and swap back to a proper manual rack.

richardjw

I have all the parts to fit power steering, and a few of you are thinking of going back to manual?

Is it a feel and weight issue? I've driven a 205 with a GTi-6 engine in it and power steering felt fantastic, even if less feel on track.

I am i better leaving well alone?