• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
alync406

Front Brakes On Rear

alync406

I am going to rebuild a rear axle for my 1.6 rally car and I would like to fit disc brakes to it.I was thinking about getting the mounting brackets and stub axle pins and other bits needed and using base model front brake calipers.Do yous think they would work OK?

I would be using a bias valve and a hydrualic handbrake,so having no handbrake mechanism does'nt really mater.

DrSarty

Personally I think your best option (easiest and cheapest) would be to buy an already refurbished 205 1.9 or even 309 rear beam which would probably already have calipers fitted.

This'll cost between £250-£300. People like Jord and Anthony sell them.

No faffing, just exhange the old one and bolt the new one on, ready to go. :)

alync406

I am finding it hard to find a 1.9 rear beam here,I even looked for a 306 beam with disc breaks.

I would say it would cost alot to ship a rear beam from the UK to Ireland.

EdCherry

Well you dont want disc breaks.... be useless with broken discs!

Tom Fenton

I've done something similar to what you suggest, but used 1600 bendix caliper carriers bolted to standard rear calipers, using vented front discs.

This works fine, but I think you may struggle with the size of the front caliper body fouling the inner arches at the back of the car. Only way to find out would be to try.

Look at my build thread in engine work, about 10 pages from the end or so.

alync406

Are the front bendix calipers much bigger than the rear calipers?

I would be planing on using bendix base model calipers and solid discs.

Tom Fenton

They are bigger yes as they have a much longer piston travel.

To be honest it sounds like you are just making things difficult for the sake of it. The correct rear calipers can be found on loads of 106/206/306/zx/xsara etc etc, just go and get the right things and be done with it.

alync406

I think you could be right Tom.I was looking at the calipers there and I would say the flexi brake pipe would probably not fit on anyway,it would foul the body I'd say.I will have to look harder for the right calipers.Have seen a few 106 gti's for breaking,would the calipers,mounting brackets and all be the same on these?Or maybe would the whole trailing arms fit the 205 beam?

Tom Fenton

The calipers are the same, the other stuff I don't think is. But you said in your first post you were going to get all these bits together anyway. So its just a case of finding one of the cars above in a breakers yard for the correct rear calipers.

harryskid

Simpler to find a 1900 rear beam time wise and cheaper!

:rolleyes:

harryskid

There is one in this weeks motoring news for £250 and the guys sends his stuff all over the place so transit costs should not be too bad.

:rolleyes: