• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
All Praise The GTI

205 Retro Fitting Powersteering

All Praise The GTI

never seen 205 standard power steering setup so dont know what its like but got most the pipes etc and a rally setup on my engine :)

got pipes from a 306 do i need the metal loop from the front which i guess is for cooling the fluid, is this really needed in a 205???

also how do i tell which is high pressure side and which pipe goes in which hole to whaty on the rack as they kinda fit both ways,does it matter?

pics would help

MrG

I have this fitted to the Miami I have in bits, you're welcome to take a look if you want Nat.

jackherer

205s with PAS do have the metal loop for cooling. I fitted a Xsara rack with an electric pump and no cooling loop and its been fine. I don't know if electric pumps are better or worse for temperature and also the braided hoses might dissipate some heat.

All Praise The GTI

where is your miami located andrew? pm me. if its close i might take a peek. thanks mate :)

hmm... does the fluid get hot usually then?

would be much easier and tidyier not to fit the loop but its a track car so if it needs it i should fitt it really :P

Miles

it's a odd one, Early 205's never had the loop nor did any 309, But 306's, 405's etc all did, I tend not to use it and nevr had any issues, Maybe if you doing a enduce race then yes you will need cooling but then I would use a proper cooler and not a metal pipe

All Praise The GTI

will only be used on road and on track. so wont be getting much grief for prolonged periods so il prob leave it out then atleast for now :)

anyone enlighten me where each pipe off the rack goes to. which pipe from which hole (one closest or furthest from the bulkhead/closet to engine) goes to the pump and which goes back to reservoir??

cheers

welshpug

they are a different size rack end, so you cant (well, shouldn't) get them in the wrong holes :)

MrG

Nat

I'm in soham so about 30 mins from you, It's in a dry lock up and the parts are in or around the car. I've had the parts together and can see where pipework goes however no engine fitted.

pm me if you want a butchers at it bud.

All Praise The GTI

ok thanks guys

il take another look tomorrow as i was hoping to swith the pipes over as how it is one of the metal ones is touching the 6 banana manifold :P so that will get hot!!! but if you say i cant get it in the wrong hole welshpug :)

i thought both holes on the rack looked the same size??

i guess il have to bend the pipe away from the exhaust but thinking of it i might need to use the loop if its going to be warmed by that. would that hoop actually make much difference??

thanks for the offer andrew if i need a look il let you know but i might be ok thanks. as said engine is in and pipes in place just wasnt sure if they are right or ok as they are. only one way to find out i guess :)

Oberon

If the gti set up is the same as the diesel set up the pressure pipe will go from pump to rack, then one end of the reservoir

goes to the pump and the other to the rack/loop. I think..

jerseypug

i went without the cooling pipe in my rally car and it ok for a couple of stages then made a horrible squealing noise for 4 stages until we had a long service so it could cool down. soon as it got hot again it started to make the noise again. it was really loud and uncomfortable to drive. That was with a new gti6 rallye belt, tensioners and pullies. pulled it all out in the end and fitted an electric pump under the rear floor where the spare wheel used to go. not rallied with this yet. all the gti6 rallye ps bits are on ebay at the moment if you need any parts. no bids and 99p 1 day to go

CosKev

Rear inlet on rack(nearest bulkhead)is pressure in from pump :o

I've used the GTI6 pipe from pump to rack and it fits spot on,nowhere near the GTI6 manifold :lol:

All Praise The GTI

i have a mis match of 205 and 306 bits so dont know which is which but got it all on now after about an hour and a half of swearing removing and bending then refitting then again the metal pipes to make them fitt and not go near the exhaust because i wasnt sure where they would go normally :o

hopefully ive not weakened them. stil debating whether or not to fitt the cooling pipe as will be a pita to do :lol:

All Praise The GTI

forgot to say on my 309 rack too holes looked same size welshpug but on xsara one were different sizes

CosKev

Get yourself a Gti6 pipe from pump to rack,fits spot on,all the holes are there for the brackets etc to bolt too :D

All Praise The GTI

i think i might keep eyes open for another as i bent mine about so much. it fitted fine to start with i think but was trying make the other one fitt away from exhaust and bent both :)

foreigner

I just fitted pas to my td conversion and used:

- high pressure pipe from 306 or zx (the same) - fit nicely with all the brackets

- return pipe from rack to tank from 205 - properly modified with a bender and hammer

- tank from 205

I fitted the 306 or zx pump and now have to move radiator forward , it would fit but hose was too close to pulley.

All Praise The GTI

i cut a bit out the front panel so the hose would clear ok :)