• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest haz34

1.6 Brake Calipers Fitting

Guest haz34

My 1.6 recently failed an MOT due to the key sliding clip on the calipers being fitted incorrectly. How exactly should they be fitted? At the top of the caliper with a split pin on the inside to hold it in place? If any one has photos that would be excellent.

Also any ideas about how I can stop the rear drum brakes grabbing?

May be storing it for the last 4 months wasn't such a good idea!

Cheers

Baz

The 'clip' only fits in one side, iirc it's the upper, and yes with a small clip through to stop it rattling out.

Stop the rear drums grabbing by taking them off, cleaning them up and adjusting them? Also make sure the cylinders and handbrake cables are in good condition.

rallysteve

Make sure the rear brake shoes are chamfered on the leading edges, this will prevent them grabbing.

Steve

shalmaneser

th_DSCF1867.jpg

^^^^clicky

Hopefully you can see here - the two spring clips on the other side to the wedge, and the wedge and pin connected so that it can't possible vibrate out.

Edited by shalmaneser

Guest haz34

Thanks for all your comments. I got the front clip sorted in the end.

The rear is a little tricky its 47% imbalanced and wont even do a full spin on it own, probably a seized cylinder I suspect. Just need to find a tool to get that large hub nut off! Any chance anyone has a wrench big enough in north essex?

Andrwn8304
Thanks for all your comments. I got the front clip sorted in the end.

The rear is a little tricky its 47% imbalanced and wont even do a full spin on it own, probably a seized cylinder I suspect. Just need to find a tool to get that large hub nut off! Any chance anyone has a wrench big enough in north essex?

The Rear Hub nut is a 30mm any good car accessory shop stocks them and normally costs about £5

Torque wrench settings

Nm lbf ft

Rear hub nut . . . . . . . . . . 215 159

Baz

I'm not far from you and have, also fairly often in Dunmow/Barnston. :)

welshpug

one very important thing to note is that the pads are of the offset variety in the bendix caliper (not sure if all 1.6's are though) and hence have to go in the right place, this was not checked and the pads just chucked in any old how on DrSarty's E reg car by a previous owner/bodger, meaning that less than half the pad material was making contact with the disc :)

the spring clips sit on the leading edge, and the retaining bar on the trailing edge B)