• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dee205

Long Brake Pedal..

dee205

It's a diesel. Fitted new cylinders, shoes and copper pipes on the rear. I didn't clamp the hoses when I removed the pipes. Just tied them up but they managed to drop down and loose me alot of fluid.

I also managed to f*** up not one but both bleed nipples.. I bleed them by loosening the pipe going to the cylinder.

Problem is after letting what looks like all the air out of the system I still have a really long brake pedal than goes to the floor.

First time I pumped the pedal I sounded dry and sticky...

Any ideas?

Damien

swordfish210

It's probably still not bled properly. It can be a pain to do at the best of times let along doing it a slightly ass about face way.

oonip

caliper full of air? Given that you have bleed the system at the inlet of the caliper?

dee205

Front calipers weren't off so should still be full of fluid. Its the rear cylinders were replaced. The bleed screws snapped off so I loosened the nut on the pipe going into the cylinder. Am I going to have to get the remainder of the screws out and replace them? My local motor factors told me they couldn't get the screws seperate...

I remember bleeding before with snapped screws by just loosing the nut..

welshpug

Peugeot do the bleed screws separately, there's also plenty on ebay.

gowmonster

if it's not got abs, and you lost a lot of fluid, you will most likley have let the reservoir drop below the feeds at the MC, thus introducing air there.

I suspect you will need to bled the whole system including the fronts, I made the same mistake on my 106.

Guest nickgtirep

you need new bleed nipples its the only way to get all the air out rele.

pug_ham

The rear wheel cylinders aren't that expensive to replace so I'd replace them with new ones (a pair costs under £25 afaik).

If you were bleeding them by the two man method you should be able to get them bled through properly but best thing is to spend maybe £20 for the pressure bleeding kits which make it a one man job.

Graham.

Tom Fenton

If you shop around on ebay they can be had even cheaper than that, I've recently bought a few for different vehicles including a proper Motaquip one for a Partner van for about £6.50.

pug_ham

I agree Tom, I got as pair of 1.6 GTI rear cylinders for under £20 delivered.

I replaced a pipe on my mums 205 a few years ago & within a week of doing it the rear cylinder sprung a leak so I did them both.

IIRC they were ~£8 each from my local motor factors.

Graham.

dee205

Two new cylinders on it. Cost me 15 quid each. Will look for new screws and try bleeding it again.

Found loads on ebay thanks. What size do I need.

Edited by dee205

blessed6383

bleed it again mate i know its a pain in the arse job n i hate doing it but the brakes are the most importat thing on ya pug

pug_ham
Will look for new screws and try bleeding it again.

Found loads on ebay thanks. What size do I need.

They should be M7 afaik.

Graham.

dee205

Cheers for the replies guys.