• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
24seven

Wheel Bearing

24seven

The dealer locally is useless and couldn't offer me a price for these ;). Does anyone know what dealers charge for a front wheel bearing kit for a 1.6 non ABS?

Tom Fenton

I'd have thought an absolute fortune. Buy from your local motor factor etc.

Edit. Servicebox suggests £65.

Edited by Tom Fenton

swordfish210
I'd have thought an absolute fortune. Buy from your local motor factor etc.

Edit. Servicebox suggests £65.

Holy Crap! I bought some from my motorfactor for my old 405 at £21 each

Tom Fenton

Which is roughly what I'd hope to pay from my factors for one. Main dealer are a last resort for parts you cannot possibly get anywhere else for me, but each to their own.

welshpug

indeed, the last bearing kit I got for a pug came from gsf in an SKF box and cost me about £12, inc a circlip and new nut ;)

SurGie

But then the less people buy 205 GTI stuff from Peugeot the more they will stop selling the majority of parts for the 205.

blessed6383

i have a pair of 1.6gi hubs you can have one has just had brand new bearing fitted pm me if interested

Tom Fenton
But then the less people buy 205 GTI stuff from Peugeot the more they will stop selling the majority of parts for the 205.

You go and pay £65 for a wheel bearing then, 'cos I'm damn well not!

welshpug

as well as that, they aren't a bearing limited to the 205, they're fitted to a hell of a lot more vehicles so not buying a wheelbearing isn't going to jeopardise the supply of 205 specific parts.

SurGie

I meant 205 parts in general and i agree to buying generic parts from other suppliers. Going to Peugeot as a last resort for parts could mean they will not sell as many because people searched other suppliers first.

IMO Peugeot should be the first place to search for parts otherwise other companies will supply most 205 parts Peugeot dont supply any more and then charge the earth for them.

jackherer

SurGie, that is virtually incomprehensible and seems contradictory so I'll keep my answer simple, you're wrong, Peugeot don't care and are not going to continue supporting us, it is up to us to either source parts elsewhere or commission manufacturing now. The people we should be supporting are those like Stew Baker at Baker Bushes and Mountings who are developing replacement parts specifically for 205s.

Tom Fenton

^^^^^^^^^^what he said.

SurGie

I cant see other companies selling/making rare parts for cars such as the ph 1 GT, iv had problems getting some replacement parts in the past.

Then there's the quality issue in buying some copied parts, ie body panels. Not that all suppliers of copied parts are of lesser quality than Peugeot.

Peugeot no doubt dont care about the 205 any more because they are not making enough money from the parts etc.

Ryan

Peugeot aren't making those rare parts any more either. Other than service items and consumables 90% of their 205 parts were probably made 10-15 years ago and have sat in a French warehouse ever since. Buying it isn't going to convince them to make any more, once they run out of a particular part it just becvomes something else that's marked as NLA.

Edited by Ryan

SurGie

NLA :o

MerlinGTI

If theres a quality or identical alternative cheaper else where you would be a fool not to buy it. Pug dont give a s*it about us.

Bearings for example are just repackaged in pug boxes. Most are made by SKF or FAG etc.. Same goes for BOSCH parts, cheaper to buy stright from BOSCH, cut out the middle man. Bendix brakes, Gates belts the list goes on. Peugeot actually dont manufactuer as many parts as you think. Just Slap a lion badge and 30% on someone elses work.

I always try and buy the best quality part avaible for the best price. If if comes from pug then so be it, if not I wont lose any sleep.

I do however agree with supporting places like BBM, Constella, Miles and so on, because when Peugeot do finially kick us all to the curb permantly it will be these guys that keep our passion alive.

If Peugeot did more to keep us and the car that saved its company fortunes in good standing maybe I would share your view point Surgie, as it is they seem content with making average (ugly!) modern cars for school mums and grandads.

johnsimister

When I bought my 1.9 six years ago, the NSF wheel bearing had play in it. So I replaced it with one from a well-known 205 parts supplier in the north-west, and there was just as much play as before. Not an MOT fail but enough to cause a chattering on rough surfaces. Finally I could stand it no longer and bought a new and expensive bearing from the local Peugeot dealer. Sadly I can't remember the make of the bearing but there's no play in it, so as far as I'm concerned it was money well spent.

There's a moral in there somewhere. I guess it's that if you know the replacement bearing is a reputable make eg SKF, then it will probably be fine. If not, it probably won't be.

John

MerlinGTI

Unbranded bearings tend to be s*ite.

Buying from GSF and requesting OE quality parts takes a lot of the guesswork out of parts buying. Another great company GSF :) Cheap and good quality, love 'um.

GSF automatically tend to supply the cheapest part, dont be afraid to ask for the OE quality equivliant, they wont look at you like your strange :P

welshpug

ECP do the same, stock cheap stuff but can supply the good items at request if not in stock :)

SurGie

Fully understood now, thanks Ryan & Merlin.