• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest 20dizzle5 gti

Lowering My 205 Gti

Guest 20dizzle5 gti

hi just woundering if anyone can help me on the lowering of my car i just need to no whats the lowest i can lower it without doing any mods to the wheel archs thank :)

Guest 20dizzle5 gti

thanks but lowering front aswell :)

blessed6383

i think each spline movement is either 23mm or 27mm correct me if im wrong guys when i lowered my old 205 gti i dropped the front 60mm ond if i remember correctly 2 splines on the rear and this look very smart and looked about level double check on the measurement per spline tho before doing or may have to do twice lol also well worth replacing the trailing arm bearing when your doing this as only cheap and can save a knackered rear axle later on hich is not what you want

blessed6383

also mate wouldn't go any lower than 60mm as thatwas a pain with the speed bumps altho did stick to the road and no arch mos needed for a 60mm drop

Edited by blessed6383

welshpug

no, each spline movement is closer to 2.5mm or so.

Guest 20dizzle5 gti

thanks guys and ok if its 2.5 how many spines to get a 60mm drop ?

pug_ham

With the torsion bar spines fully clear of the beam tube & radius arm, use a dummy shock to set the distance between the bolt centres & rotate the torsion bars one spline at a time until the splines push home.

They are a vernier spline with different number of splines each end so you can make almost millimetre changes.

Graham.

Simes

60mm will handle like a dog.

Drop it around 30mm and you'll be on the way to car that handles well.

Rob Thomson
60mm will handle like a dog.

Drop it around 30mm and you'll be on the way to car that handles well.

I thought you started with a car that handles well? :rolleyes:

blessed6383

i have to disagree simes mine was dropped 60mm and i could out run scoobys on the back roads and my mates 300bhp pulsa gti-r on the back roads and roundabouts and that was 4wd, as for the lowering welshpug i did meant at the hub end but yer i was unsure mate as was a while ago i did the job 3~4 years ago lol

Batfink

The main problem with running that low is the lack of suspension travel at the rear. I cut down the bumpstops on mine which was ok, but maybe not the best...

Looked good though ;)

GLPoomobile
i have to disagree simes mine was dropped 60mm and i could out run scoobys on the back roads and my mates 300bhp pulsa gti-r on the back roads and roundabouts and that was 4wd, as for the lowering welshpug i did meant at the hub end but yer i was unsure mate as was a while ago i did the job 3~4 years ago lol

But there's a difference between 'handling' (which some might feel is a subjective topic) and having a car which sticks to the road well. A lot of modern cars can achieve higher cornering speeds than a 205 GTI due to the advances made in modern suspension, but that doesn't necessarily mean they 'handle' as well as a 205 GTI.

Having bigger bollocks will also enable you to take a corner at higher speeds than others :ph34r:

• Haha 1

blessed6383
The main problem with running that low is the lack of suspension travel at the rear. I cut down the bumpstops on mine which was ok, but maybe not the best...

Looked good though :ph34r:

true it is a bit minimal but if your useing shortern damper its not too bad