• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bassman

Removing Strut Top Nut

Bassman

So I removed the nearside strut top nut with no real problems, but when I came to the offside strut, I firstly broke a 7mm hex and when I was more careful with a replacement it eventually started to round off in the hole with just me pushing against it with a 21mm drop-neck ring spanner.

I am contemplating drilling the hole in the top of the damper out slightly and fitting an M8 wire-thread insert so I can wind a decent caphead bolt in there to try instead.

Does anybody see any problems with this? It is a fairly shallow hole, but there should be enough to get a decent amount of thread to screw in to.

Thanks

ROb

welshpug

I'd get round to a garage and get them to windygun it off enough so you can loosen it at home :)

Edited by welshpug

EdCherry

Impact gun the thing off!

Bassman
Impact gun the thing off!

Just a stupid question then, but with an impact gun, does it not still want to rotate the damper?

welshpug

if its really stubborn yes, but in most cases an impact gun will loosen them quite well, especially if the air tanks are full and the guns well oiled :)

are you re-using these dampers? if not then I'd get a decent set of mole grips on the shaft and crack on with the spanner, or windy gun in fact.

EdCherry

Yer it will do at some point, but get some water pump pliers at the top end of the strut.

Bassman
Yer it will do at some point, but get some water pump pliers at the top end of the strut.

Ok I'll chuck it in the boot and take it to a local garage at lunch tomorrow and see if they can have a go. Failing that I will try the wire-thread insert method, but this sounds a lot easier!

Thansk for the quick replies!

Rob

welshpug

could try banging a torx bit in there too :)

Henry Yorke

if taking it to a garage, be sure to tie wrap the springs up well or better still, get the spring clamps on it so it doesn't fly off when they undo it. They will probably do it for nothing if you go prepared, otherwise it may involve them faffing about to take the tension off the spring.

hothatch
if taking it to a garage, be sure to tie wrap the springs up well or better still, get the spring clamps on it so it doesn't fly off when they undo it. They will probably do it for nothing if you go prepared, otherwise it may involve them faffing about to take the tension off the spring.

If you do end up tapping something in the to top carful you don't push the expand the threads out !!! This dimwit (me) has once done this lol !

Ben

large

See if you can get an imperial allen key in it.

Bassman

Job done. Local garage whizzed it off in seconds (I had left the spring compressors on to make it safe).

I now need somebody to whizz it back on now it is all back together, so back to the garage tomorrow. I did try getting a pair of grips on it which allow me to get a couple of turns and then it spins in the grips.

Rob

Henry Yorke

Is it worth getting a bolt tacked on the top so you can fit a socket on it?

Bassman

I was thinking that, because if I had tapped a M8 thread and screwed a bolt in to loosen it, I would of course still be in this position now I need to tighten it back up.

To be honest, if they can rattle it back on, I am not likely to have to get it off again for some time (I hope).

It looks great now it is back at standard height all around. It was dropped about 60mm by the previous owner and the rear beam was shagged. It will be interesting to see how my oilite plain bearings get on at the back!

Rob