• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugmarshall

Suspension Setup

pugmarshall

Hello all,

I have just purchased a 205 XE 1.0. The first thing I want to tackle is the suspension/chassis, can anyone tell me where to start?

Should I use full GTi suspension, aftermarket or mixed ect.

Cheers.

pugmarshall

Will GTi parts fit my XE?

Baz

Yes.

Can i ask whether you've actually read through some of the threads in this section, or even searched before posting?

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=38320

General posting guidelines:

- the main rule of thumb is to get familiar and use the search function. most of

the technical questions you may want to ask have most probably been asked

and answered several times by now. all you need to do is click on the search link

(top right corner of the page) and be careful what you enter as search criteria.

there's also a quick sub-forum search function (botton left corner of the page).

we are also constantly cleaning up the forum and archiving the most useful and

best technical topics. these topics can be found in Technical Archives forum

pugmarshall
Yes.

Can i ask whether you've actually read through some of the threads in this section, or even searched before posting?

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=38320

yes but i cant find much of use to me as i have no experience with 205's.

So far ive gathered i should go for:

Standard:

205 GTi 1.9 rear beam

309 GTi front struts

GTi6 Dampers

205 GTi 1.9 front ARB's

205 GTi 1.9 Brake discs

205 GTi 1.6 brake callipers and pads

That's all so far.

Edited by pugmarshall

j_turnell

Is there any particular reason your using an XE? as a gti would make a much better base car. To change to full gti suspension you'll need to swap the entire front subframe over, which includes wishones, ARB, droplinks etc. You will also have to move your brake pipe brackets as they are in a different position on basemodels and foul the droplinks iirc.

You can retain your hubs and run 1.9 disks as you mentioned, i'd also use 1.9 calipers as the 1.6 items suffer from wear more often than not and dont perform to well. GTi struts or gti-6 struts bolt straight on and allow you to run the gti droplink and arb setup, you will need some lowering springs though as it will sit high on standard gti springs.

The rear is a bolt on affair, you should have 2 lines going to the back being a basemodel so not too much of a problem if you want disks, bear in mind you'll need to plumb in a compensator each side.

pugmarshall
Is there any particular reason your using an XE? as a gti would make a much better base car. To change to full gti suspension you'll need to swap the entire front subframe over, which includes wishones, ARB, droplinks etc. You will also have to move your brake pipe brackets as they are in a different position on basemodels and foul the droplinks iirc.

You can retain your hubs and run 1.9 disks as you mentioned, i'd also use 1.9 calipers as the 1.6 items suffer from wear more often than not and dont perform to well. GTi struts or gti-6 struts bolt straight on and allow you to run the gti droplink and arb setup, you will need some lowering springs though as it will sit high on standard gti springs.

The rear is a bolt on affair, you should have 2 lines going to the back being a basemodel so not too much of a problem if you want disks, bear in mind you'll need to plumb in a compensator each side.

Thanks very much that was the sort of info i was looking for!

I'm using an XE because it was VERY cheap, it's a project car and i LOVE working on cars so more work isn't neccessarily a problem.

Quick question - will 309 struts allow me to run the gti droplink and arb setup?

Edited by pugmarshall

pug_ham
Quick question - will 309 struts allow me to run the gti droplink and arb setup?

309 GTI struts yes.

Graham.

pugmarshall
309 GTI struts yes.

Graham.

Thank you :)

jackherer
Is there any particular reason your using an XE? as a gti would make a much better base car.

Its 2010 and the numbers of GTIs left is falling, I think we should be encouraging more base model builds, its not that much extra work really, most GTIs these days need bodywork and paint anyway so the difference is even less than it used to be IMO.

swordfish210

He's not planning anything different than what i did to my XT a few years back. Mine was standard when i got it and i first fitted a 1.9 subframe, struts and springs. I then fitted a 1.6 rear beam and the car was loads better to drive, much more responsive in the bends.

Regarding the brakes the 1.6 calipers and 1.9 disc will be fine for a 1.0 engine, anything more will be a bit overkill.

I keep hearing this mention of moving the brake pipe brackets because they foul the droplinks but i never did anything of the sort and have had no problems ;)

j_turnell
Its 2010 and the numbers of GTIs left is falling, I think we should be encouraging more base model builds, its not that much extra work really, most GTIs these days need bodywork and paint anyway so the difference is even less than it used to be IMO.

Thats a fair point, but only recently there has been gti shells up for grabs in the forsale section...

Lan

I bet it wasn't as cheap as what I picked my whole XS up for though and there is no rust on the bodywork on my XS atall

pugmarshall
He's not planning anything different than what i did to my XT a few years back. Mine was standard when i got it and i first fitted a 1.9 subframe, struts and springs. I then fitted a 1.6 rear beam and the car was loads better to drive, much more responsive in the bends.

Regarding the brakes the 1.6 calipers and 1.9 disc will be fine for a 1.0 engine, anything more will be a bit overkill.

I keep hearing this mention of moving the brake pipe brackets because they foul the droplinks but i never did anything of the sort and have had no problems :ph34r:

I'm planning to put a TU2J2 1.3 rallye engine in the 205.

jackherer
I keep hearing this mention of moving the brake pipe brackets because they foul the droplinks but i never did anything of the sort and have had no problems :ph34r:

That needs to be done to CTIs when fitting GTI suspension and maybe some other models but not all.