• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Silky

Gaz Coilover Adjustment

Silky

Evening,

Not sure what spec they are but think it's GHA.

Top of the struts have (I think) a 22mm nut with a smaller 8mm centre.

Could someone tell me how this adjusts and what method you use to adjust.

The 22mm nut was slightly loose so tightened it up a bit but it only took out the slack, if someone could elaborate a touch on what to do that'd be great

Thanks

Michael

welshpug

don't some have a knob that fits in the top of the strut and others have a knob on the side of the body of the damper?

either way that 22mm should be torqued up and the 8mm Allen hole is to hold the damper shaft in place whilst being tightened/loosened.

All Praise The GTI

mine dont have an allen key but the threads have sides so a spannd can go on and tighten up the nut carefully with a offset spanner. then the top hexagonal bit is the adjuster use the supplied tool or a spanner or small pliers :D

Cameron

Yeah they come with a blue alloy adjuster tool, give GAZ a call and get a new one or just use an 8mm socket.

Bear in mind that those shocks are only rebound adjustable, so you'll need to fine tune the settings rather than just whack it on full. I'm pretty sure it's anti-clockwise to reduce the damping, so wind them fully off and count the number of turns between fully off and fully on, then set the damping at roughly 1/3rd of the way between the two. If you find that the car is too bouncy then add a few more clicks, and if you find it is understeering and loose over bumpy surfaces then wind it off a few clicks.

Also the range of adjustment in those shocks is way too wide, I think it's about 3.5 turns but the last 2 turns are pretty much complete overkill on the springs they provide you with.

Edited by Cameron

Silky

Cheers for that Cameron, managed to use your advice and adjust them with an 8mm spanner.

Will pop round to Gaz and pick up an adjustor and C spanner when I'm next free

floodys

You should have asked me or gra mate, we got thems coilovers as you know!!

Silky

I know, but I didn't 100% know which model I had

They are on and look pretty good, need slightly lowering though but not by much