• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
McDude

Mintex 1144s Vs 1155s

McDude

I've got Mintex 1144s on the front of my 1.9 at the moment. They've done ~14,000miles including a couple of track days.

When I first got them they really were very good, nice bite and very good retardation. My only complaint is that they did overheat and fade a bit at Woodbridge on one heavy breaking section but other than that they have been excellent. I do wonder if they have degraded though as they don't feel as keen as they used to.

I'm not sure if I'm pleased that I've got 14k miles out of them or disapointed they haven't lasted longer, but either way they need replacing.

Has anyone run both the 1144s and the 1155s? I'm thinking of going to the 1155s after the fade on track incident, but am a little concerned about their on road and cold characteristics.

Opinions invited!

Anthony

Can't speak for 1155's, but I went from 1144's to Ferodo DS2500's - cold bite is still very good, but they definately seem to be better at resisting fade on track and certainly I've never felt the need for a hotter pad. Mine have also lasted ages - something like 25k miles on them now including a few trackdays and they're only half worn.

Something to consider perhaps?

SweetBadger
I've got Mintex 1144s on the front of my 1.9 at the moment. They've done ~14,000miles including a couple of track days.

When I first got them they really were very good, nice bite and very good retardation. My only complaint is that they did overheat and fade a bit at Woodbridge on one heavy breaking section but other than that they have been excellent. I do wonder if they have degraded though as they don't feel as keen as they used to.

I'm not sure if I'm pleased that I've got 14k miles out of them or disapointed they haven't lasted longer, but either way they need replacing.

Has anyone run both the 1144s and the 1155s? I'm thinking of going to the 1155s after the fade on track incident, but am a little concerned about their on road and cold characteristics.

Opinions invited!

I've run both, like you found the M1144s bite great from cold but had them fade on track...

M1155s much better for track work, got them to fade a little at rockingham but they were still far better than the M1144s. I wouldn't recommend them for the road though - cold bite is really crap.

Found Carbon Lorane RC5s far better than the M1155s on track and they also had excellent cold bite, unfortunately they destroyed my discs in a very short period of time. Apparently the RC5+ pads are far better in this respect but have yet to see someone confirm this...

feb

I had 1144 and DS2500 but have only done trackdays with the DS2500. Very good pads (no fading) that work well from cold as has been said although can be squeaky at times.

Edited by feb

Tom Fenton

I've used the Mintex 1144 and 1155, we found that if you get some cold air ducted to the brakes, the 1144's are more than good enough on track, we opened up the fog light apertures to allow air through to the brakes.

boombang

I've been from 1144s to 1155s on two cars now, both times the 1155s were better than 1144s in every way.

Only downside is noise. Have had either squeal or light grinding noise on both sets. On a 306 no matter what I did they made a racket, squealing under anything other than heavy braking.

On the VX220, you could hear the pad scraping on the disc, but there is obviously naff all sound deadening on a VX220 and not all that much weight to really bed them in hard.

Cameron

Yeah my 1155's squeal like a bitch when they're cold, but that's the price you pay for better brakes.

I'm definitely going to try out DS2500's this year, they're supposed to be the best you can get for reasonable money.. more expensive than the Mintex but you get what you pay for.

Tom Fenton

The DS2500 are excellent and no doubt about it. However I seem to get through a set of pads a year in the track car roughly, so a cheaper pad that still retains good performance is what I am looking for, and the 1144's do the business. To me, going up a pad compound due to overheating is addressing the result and not the problem. Addressing the problem is getting some cooling air to the brakes.

Miles

Not convined by the DS range, I;ve got 3000's on the Estate and i can get them to fade without too much trouble, Mind it is 1600 Kg's, They did last well thou I will give them that,

Best pad i;ve used is the Pagid RS4's, Expesive at £130.00 a set for the std 1.9 calliper but again you get disc dust instead of brake dust, LOL

large

I was running 1144,s then changed the engine to an Mi. I then found I would get bad break fade within 5 miles of my house. I changed to 1155,s and have seen a massive improvment no more break fade and still good from cold. I picked up the 55,s from P.L.R. for the same price as a set of 1144.

I have to say I think Tom is right about adressing the cooling of the breaks first.