• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

How To Tell What Side Wheel Bearing Has Gone?

pugpete1108

having spent all morning out in the rain (pouring i might add) changing my passenger wheel bearing on my xsara, i take it for a test drive and what do ya know its still whirring grrrrrrrrr

now i always thought that if you turn left and the whirring stops it would be the passenger side that is fubared? given the weight is lifting off the bearing.

or am i completely mistaken? and just wasted 5hrs of my life. what a w*nker i really am. <_<

i know one thing i aint changing the drivers one i will give in and pay someone to do it.

gowmonster

I thought the way you checked a wheel bearing was by jacking the car up and trying to move the wheel back and forth with your hands at 12 & 6 9 &3.

rescue dude

At least you have the satisfaction of doing a job well done on a wheel bearing that was in all likelihood soon to be on it's way out.

Now count to ten, have a cup of tea and jack up the other side and holding opposite sides of the tyre move it backwards and forwards as Gowmonster has said. At 12 and 6, then at 9 and 3.

You will i guarantee you be able to do this side easier as you have learned a lot from doing the other side.

swordfish210
At least you have the satisfaction of doing a job well done on a wheel bearing that was in all likelihood soon to be on it's way out.

Now count to ten, have a cup of tea and jack up the other side and holding opposite sides of the tyre move it backwards and forwards as Gowmonster has said. At 12 and 6, then at 9 and 3.

You will i guarantee you be able to do this side easier as you have learned a lot from doing the other side.

I was going to say the same. I had a similar one with my old 405 Mi, the bearing was grumbling like hell so i changed the one i thought was gone and it turned out the other side was just as knackered as the one i had just changed. Annoying i know but the other side was a lot easier to do and when it was done the front end was a quiet as a mouse.

jackherer

I wouldn't be too annoyed, the chances are if one is going the other is not far behind so changing both is the sensible thing to have done anyway.

rescue dude
I wouldn't be too annoyed, the chances are if one is going the other is not far behind so changing both is the sensible thing to have done anyway.

That was my point Jackherer. We've all been there doing some crap job in the rain, me more than once.

The bearing you changed was contributing to the noise and in my opinion imminently going to show it's true colours.

Deep breaths Pug and get on and sort out the other motherf****r. It is deffo the right thing to do.

jackherer

Sorry, I took my time posting due to a phone call, your post wasn't there when I started typing otherwise I wouldn't have bothered repeating it <_<

pugpete1108
That was my point Jackherer. We've all been there doing some crap job in the rain, me more than once.

The bearing you changed was contributing to the noise and in my opinion imminently going to show it's true colours.

Deep breaths Pug and get on and sort out the other motherf****r. It is deffo the right thing to do.

i have calmed down a little now after thinking at least its done now and out of the way and chances are it would have needed doing anyway :)

its just i think im getting a little too old (or at least feel it) to be crawling around in the rain working on a car. i need a big barn with a 4 poster lift in it i think.

back on track, i checked the other wheel and there was no play???, im gonna change it anyway but ill get the garage to press it out and press another one in. balls to doing that again <_<

cheers for the moral support

pete

Dave87

Thats not the best way to check for a wheel bearing gone . checking buy pulling and pushing the wheel/tyre will show up play in your arm and suspension as well as the bearing.

make sure you spin the wheel and listen for a rubbing or wiring noise (ignore the disc/drum -shoe noise). as well as spinning the wheel and holding onto the torsion bar (or somthing acting as a shock abosrber for the bearing) to feel for vibration from the bearing.

Somtimes the bearing will be gone but not have movment play in it.

dave.

Daviewonder

Jack the car up and spin the wheel with your ear pushed against the body work, if its the worn bearing the rumbling will be transmitted through the body to your ear :(

Tom Fenton

They can be tricky to diagnose. Sometimes loading them up makes them noisy, sometimes the extra load quietens them down.

Also all the talk of checking for play is not really applicable- a noisy bearing will not necessarily have any play in it.

luggy

Pete I had the same problem with those alloys on my Xsara VTR, NSF wheel bearing was replaced by previous owner and I replaced OSF wheel bearing, still rumbling coming from the front, replaced 2 front tyres which improved it a little.

The wheels arent buckled as I had them checked when I had the tires replaced. Before you replace the OSF bearing swap the wheels with the 205 and see if the problem still persists. B)

pugpete1108
Pete I had the same problem with those alloys on my Xsara VTR, NSF wheel bearing was replaced by previous owner and I replaced OSF wheel bearing, still rumbling coming from the front, replaced 2 front tyres which improved it a little.

The wheels arent buckled as I had them checked when I had the tires replaced. Before you replace the OSF bearing swap the wheels with the 205 and see if the problem still persists. B)

its ok it started when i went to france which was even before i brought the wheels off you so i know its not them. im pretty sure its the driver bearing mate well fingers crossed it aint a shaft or something.

Silky

As for getting replacement bearings, are the Non-ABS and ABS bearings the same thing ?