• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tdr_1976

Five Sided Bolt Head.....lol!

tdr_1976

I've just started fitting the calliper carriers that I purchased from James the other day [cheers mate!], I decided to get them fitted this evening, now, after fitting the drivers side one on with no problems, I've discovered that the two carrier retaining bolts on the passengers side have five sided bolt heads on :rolleyes:

How the hell am I supposed to get them off? :lol:

Any ideas would be great....... :D

Edited by tdr_1976

Tom Fenton

As above you can buy a socket. But if you just want the carriers like I did, you can drill the heads off the bolts.

swordfish210

Or a 2lb hammer and a cold chisel if you're a pikie like I :rolleyes:

mr_exe

I've seen a double hex socket hammered on that worked. Personally I bought the 5 sided socket.

tdr_1976

Hi Guy's,

Thanks for your replies! Much appreciated!

I've purchased the socket, as I'm fitting the 1.6 GTi ones onto my 205 XS calipers!

You've all been a Great help, as Always!

tdr_1976

I'm still waiting for the new socket to arrive,

I thought I'd make good use of the good weather and at least get the disc retaining screws out ......

But, the boogers all sheared off, my question is, is it worth the hassle to drill the remains out, and would it be safe to go without them?

Cheers!

swordfish210

The wheel bolt holds the disc in place, all the retaining screws do is stop the disc rotating on the hub while you're trying to fit the wheel.

In future if you're concerned about removing them without snapping them off then use an impact driver.

tdr_1976

Cheers mate, I'm glad I don't have to drill the bits out.....lol!

I did use an impact driver, after the second hit, they went ping..... :D

jackherer

If those screws dont undo easily first time I just drill the heads off anyway, they are really soft and the remains always unscrew with a pair of mole grips. If I'm not reusing the old discs I just knock them off with a mallet which shears the heads from those screws.