• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
philfingers

Replacing Upper Column Shaft/assembly

philfingers

My 1988 car is now PAS although it was previously non-PAS until I converted it with lower column shaft and rack.

Is the upper part the same for all 205's? Can i just pull the shaft out (i have a spare, just need to find it!) or do i need to replace the whole lot and swap the ign switch over?

I also have a good 309 one, i have a feeling tho the metal pressing is a different shape. The PAS setup came off my old 309

Any help appreicated. I have play in the upper U/J

Phil

Baz

309/205 ones are the same, and yes, you can just swap the whole lot over, transferring your column stalks/shrouds etc and ign. barrel as you say. :o

philfingers

Mine certainly isn't! The 309 one came out of my F plate Ph1 and the 205 one in my spares box is different. Haven't removed the one from the car yet.

The 205 and 309 shafts look the same length wise and U/j and steering wheel fitment. however the 309 one the lower shaft is much larger diameter. The 309 one also has little tabs bents over to hold the bearings in. Where as the 205 one with smaller diameter shaft at the bottom end is easy to pull the shaft out and the bearings.

Also the pressing on the 205 and 309 are different, by quite a lot. Will get some pictures later.

So I'll just pull the 205 inner shaft out and replace is . . . . shimples!