• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lemmingzappa

Paint Remover For Plastic

lemmingzappa

A trim set I have has been previously painted with black bumper paint and I want to remove it so that I can use Plasticare instead.

The only plastic safe products I can find are all in the USA and i'm struggling to find anything in this country. I tried using brake fluid but It didn't really do alot.

I would rather not sand it right back as this will remove the rough surface of the trim and the Plasticare Dye wont work as well.

I think I need something like this:

EUP367web.jpg

The only method which has worked so far was rubbing it extremely hard with the base of my thumb (maybe it works as the skin can get between the rough pores of the plastic), but that has actually taken chunks out of my flesh and rendered my hand useless :P

Edited by lemmingzappa

AndyJ

I found that Nitromors Auto worked extremely well and had no adverse effect on the plastic trim

(edit: it will however destroy your hands)

Edited by AndyJ

lemmingzappa

I was looking at that stuff in Halfords but I thought it would melt the plastic :P hmmm

Edited by lemmingzappa

AndyJ

Nah it was fine, brought it back up like new, just had to give it a bit of a scrub with some kitchen roll to get the ingrained bits of paint out of the textured parts.

lemmingzappa

Well I bought some Nitromors and managed to clean up one piece of trim successfully without melting any of the plastic !

MerlinGTI

Good to know! I thought it would of knackered it :D

Nice one.

lemmingzappa

I would recommend wearing chemical resistant gloves, as I wore 3 lots of disposables at once, and it melted all the way through.

Edited by lemmingzappa

AndyJ

Second that, it is vicious stuff if it gets on your skin

SurGie

Yes, the gloves are blue Nitrate which are chemical resistant and i buy mine from GSF, they are powder less which helps stops my hands drying out.