• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MrG

An Odd Problem?

MrG

over the last 6 mths my car (1.9GTI) has been experiencing a sort of vibration that appears to come from the passenger side as I can feel it through my left foot!

It happens mainly on a light throttle, tends to go when accelerating hard, however today on the way home from Snetterton the vibration appears a little worse than before? It shakes the gear lever and you can physically see the vibration if you look down at your legs (no funny quips). Now its not there when you start off, only happens at around 3k regardless of what gear your in or whether the clutch is in or out.

So is this a possible wheel bearing problem (or this ovalled hub issue), or something a little more sinister?

Steering is OK and wheels are balanced. Car doesn't pull to either side.

Many thanks

Edited by MrG

welshpug

might be worn inner cv joints or diff bearings

MrG

hmm certainly feels like its towards the centre of the car and beneath my feet so that'd figure. Scrap gearbox or hard job to do?

RossD

Try another driveshaft(s) before you condemn the gearbox!

Bigtimmy

Might be worth checking the intermediate driveshaft bearing, I don't think that they are known for going, but it would cause some vibration.

tdr_1976

I had the same issue with my XS.

It was the inner CV that was knackerd.

:unsure:

MrG

I won't condemn the gearbox if I can help it but thanks for the pointers guys. It's all mumbo to me really!

I have a pair of driveshafts here so will give that a go in the weeks to come and report back and whilst I am in there investigate all I can.

feel happier now that you've thrown some things into the mix. It's difficult to explain an unknown issue like this without showing what happens.

tdr_1976

I'd change them one at a time, if you change both at the same time, you won't know what was causing the problem, if it is the shafts! I'd reckon it will be though.

MrG

very true, its the passenger side that's the offending area I'm pretty sure.

I'll have to do a search on driveshaft changing and the items needed to ensure its done correctly.

Simes
very true, its the passenger side that's the offending area I'm pretty sure.

I'll have to do a search on driveshaft changing and the items needed to ensure its done correctly.

Driveshaft

Diff seal

Gearbox oil

Takes about 1 hour per side.

I've had 3 driveshafts do this on me. One CV joint decided to play games when I floored it up a motorway slipway in central France coming back from the Alpes. That side of the car shook really badly for 20 seconds, I stopped jacked it up and looked for anything falling off. Took it to a garage for them to check and we found nothing wrong.

It was vibrating for the remainder of our 700 mile journey.....I got home, swapped the shaft and normal service was rectified.

Annoyingly the busted shaft was a 4000mile old GKN one.

Edited by Simes

MrG

Cheers Simes.

These have fared quite well up till now, 3yrs and the only use it gets is on the track really.