• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mattmalden

Removing Hub And Bearing From Carrier

mattmalden

Hi,

Sorry for the basic question but I'm a bit stuck. I'm trying to get the hub and bearing (worn out) out of a front hub carrier with limited tools. I've supported the carrier in a 'workmate' leaving the hub free to spin and have been trying to hammer out the bearing (from inside to out) so I can attempt to restore the hub carrier. I've been at it for half an hour and it hasn't moved a bit. Does anyone have any suggestions? My circlip pliers are too weak to remove the clip from inside, and perhaps I'm too weak also, if anyone has any suggestions (bearing in mind I have very limited tools) that don;t involve six months in the gym then I'd be grateful to hear.

Cheers,

Matt.

Edited by mattmalden

jackherer

Take it to a garage and pay them to do it with their press. It can be done by hand but its no fun at all.

mattmalden

Cheers Jack,

Any idea whats the going rate for a little job like that? Wouldn't want to get ripped off, and my nearest garage has a reputation for being pricey. Personally I'd have thought it shouldn't cost more than a fiver - but then again I think a pint of beer in the pub shouldn't cost more than 2 quid!

welshpug

varies, depends if they put it through the books or not, and how easily they come out, I've paid a tenner before but it took them nearly 20 minutes as the circlip was well rusted in and the inner race on the hub was so tight, and it was with a receipt for my brother in-law.

BusEngineer

I did this job the other day, i work in a bus garage (been a HGV/PSV technician for 10 years)

Started with two hubs and 2 and a half hours later i had changed the bearings

If i was doing it again i would pay someone else to do it!! :lol: Bloody awful job

Edited by BusEngineer

mattmalden

I've just got back from refurbishing the hub carrier, the heli-coiled caliper thread went well but getting the hub off was a nightmare, managed in the end but some of the bearing casing is stuck on the hub still and I still can't get the circlip to budge one bit. We even turned some pins on a lathe and attached them to some 12 inch lengths of strap iron to make some pliers with greater purchase - and still it didn't move. Nightmare!

Please can anyone advise me on the following at all?

The bearing kit will come with a new circlip won't it?

Has anyone had any bad experiences with bearings from certain manufacturers or shops?

Edited by mattmalden

jimistdt

The bearing will come with a new circlip and hub nut. Make sure that you order and receive the right sized bearing, I ordered a 1.6 and was sent a 1.9, which is larger, a small amount of panicking took place, then Graham nipped home to pick one up that he had 'lying about'. I can't remember what brand my bearing was, but have a search of some old threads, it might be mentioned. (ISHNFEK :) )

mattmalden
The bearing will come with a new circlip and hub nut. Make sure that you order and receive the right sized bearing, I ordered a 1.6 and was sent a 1.9, which is larger, a small amount of panicking took place, then Graham nipped home to pick one up that he had 'lying about'. I can't remember what brand my bearing was, but have a search of some old threads, it might be mentioned. (ISHNFEK :D )

ISHNFEK :)

What does that mean??

Just picked up the bearing from GSF, made by VeeTech - probably Chinese judging by the box. Cost just over 15 quid - I'll let you all know if its no good!

welshpug

VeeTech are a GSF own brand, usually decent quality kit.

jimistdt
ISHNFEK :)

What does that mean??

Just a joke to myself; 'I still have no f*cking enter key'. :D

Guest nickgtirep

u need to flirt the cir clip out with a screw driver and the bearing will take some bashing and wil proberbly break if i was in your position (limited tools) id brake the bearing and try to warm the bearing race up with a gas kooker or something.

(thats if iv got the rite idea of what ur doing)

(theres no way youd pay some body els jon) :D

welshpug
Just a joke to myself; 'I still have no f*cking enter key'. :D

really?

I have two

:)

jimistdt
really?

I have two

:D

How much posted?

mattmalden
u need to flirt the cir clip out with a screw driver and the bearing will take some bashing and wil proberbly break if i was in your position (limited tools) id brake the bearing and try to warm the bearing race up with a gas kooker or something.

(thats if iv got the rite idea of what ur doing)

(theres no way youd pay some body els jon) :o

Wish getting the circlip out was as easy as all that - it won't even spin in its slot when whacked with a punch and 4 pound hammer! Can anyone recomend a good, reasonably priced circlip removal tool thats up to the job?

Wish getting the circlip out was as easy as all that - it won't even spin in its slot when whacked with a punch and 4 pound hammer! Can anyone recomend a good, reasonably priced circlip removal tool thats up to the job?

Grinder doesn't count! :D

B1ack_Mi16

To remove the circlip you will quite often need to use a small sledgehammer and a chisel to get it out. Quite often it will have to be molested quite badly.

Have been removing 8 of those lately and it's one hell of a job if proper rusted in place.

The carrier must be fixed firmly in a vise so the punches from the sledgehammer/chisel will hit hard enough to get it moving.

Tom Fenton

In the past I have had to grind a hole in behind the circlip with a die grinder and small burr. To get a screwdriver behind it and lever it out. Both the circlip ears had broken off.