• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
monkee87

Abs On A 205 Gti!

monkee87

I've had a search and can't find anything on here about it!

Basically, can anyone tell me more about it?! I have it on my GTi and i wondering if it really helps or not? Can you get parts? Is it worth fixing if it's broken?

I'm also thinking about putting 266mm discs on, so does anyone know how big the master cylinder is? Is it 20mm or 22mm? I don't want huge pedal travel if i swap the calipers.

If i do need to swap the master cylinder, does anyone know if there are any 22mm MC that only have 2 ports instead of 4. (ABS models only have 2 pipes coming from master cylinder, no blank holes on the other side at all.)

Any help would be muchly appreciated!

Rob.

Miles

I'd remove it myself as it's a 2 chanel system and no one really knows anything about them, Poor perforamce compared with any modern systems, Mind if you did want 4 chanel ABS the 306 system is a easy fit.

Brake wise just keep the std M/S to start with and see how it is, I;ve got that on mine and there's hardy any pedal travel

marksorrento205

Sorry to hijack a little, but how hard are the 205 / 309 abs hubs to get hold of? Im guessing they will be different to std gti ones something like the gti6 set up? Cheers

welshpug

they'd only differ in having the hole for the sensor and a tapped hole for a bolt.

306 or xsara items would do the trick, as would the brake caliper brackets from the 306/zx/xsara trailing arms, though best off getting the whole arm so you get a suitable hub too, rear discs are slightly taller so probably not a good idea on a 309 beam if its sat low.

shalmaneser
Sorry to hijack a little, but how hard are the 205 / 309 abs hubs to get hold of? Im guessing they will be different to std gti ones something like the gti6 set up? Cheers

GTIs only had front ABS, hence a two channel system.

you may as well just get a rear hub off a gti-6 or Xsara VTS and they're exactly the same as the 205 ones but with ABS sensor mounts and rings (slightly different disc offset though; no biggie). You could then retrofit the entire 306/Xsara ABS system if you were that way inclined.

Big waste of time I reckon, just adds cost, weight and complexity.

marksorrento205
GTIs only had front ABS, hence a two channel system.

you may as well just get a rear hub off a gti-6 or Xsara VTS and they're exactly the same as the 205 ones but with ABS sensor mounts and rings (slightly different disc offset though; no biggie). You could then retrofit the entire 306/Xsara ABS system if you were that way inclined.

Big waste of time I reckon, just adds cost, weight and complexity.

Sorry I should have been more clear - front hubs. And gti6 ones would be no good for what I need ;)

marksorrento205
they'd only differ in having the hole for the sensor and a tapped hole for a bolt.

Any pics WP? Also could you drill a non abs hub to suit a sensor? Im guessing there must be a flat spot where the sensor mounts?

welshpug

not sure if you could, why not just use 306 ones?

marksorrento205

I have 309 arms and gti6 hubs and have positive camber so would not mind going back to 205 / 309 ones :rolleyes:

mr_exe

I've only ever seen one 205 Gti with ABS. It was a 1.6 and came with rear discs, which seems strange if its only a 2 channel system that works on the front.

monkee87

To me it does seem like a waste of time having it if it only does the front brakes. There are some huge compensators joined to the rear beam, so i guess they take the pressure when the ABS on the front kicks in? I've never felt the ABS working, even on a skid in the wet. When i first got the car, i wanted to test it to see what it was like, and i felt absolutely nothing. Just felt like a skid to be honest..

Does any one know how easy it is to take the system out? I would want to take the entire system out. ECU, loom, pump etc and even swap the hubs to normal 1.9 ones. As i'd sell it as a complete system. Got a spare pump and a compensator. Obviously sell the drive shafts with it too, then i could fit 309 ones! :lol:

Also, can anyone tell me what the little thing is on the bulk head that is under a little heat shield? I've only ever seen them on ABS models. If i take it out, is there a cover that fits in it's place? I don't know if normal GTi's even have that hole in the bulkhead...

monkee87

Forgot to say, how easy would it be to fit a 306 ABS system? What would i need to do it? The master cylinder and a pump? Would the pump fit in the same place as the 205 one?